Plumbing issues.

nlaruccia

Registered
For several days every time I flushed my toilet or turned the shower or the faucet on, water would come up from the grating on the floor and flood the bathroom. I called the plumber who came and charged a whopping $300 to unplug the pipe. He said that he had to stick the hose 7 feet down the pipe in order to unplug it because of several years of accumulation. The good news is that the administration supposedly is responsible for paying me back. We'll see if they actually do. Right after the plumber left I turned on the shower and no water came out. It's been two days of hefting everything to the gym to shower. The plumber is coming back today, but he told me over the phone that one has nothing to do with the other and that he never touched the shower and that it's a coincidence. Coincidence my a**! The super said that water wasn't turned off in the building, so something happened while the plumber was working in my bathroom and he'll probably want to charge me more money to fix this problem. He reminds of an auto mechanic. I was wondering if anyone happens to know anything about plumbing that could offer me their advice. Thanks in advance!

I can help you , but keep in mind that argentine plumbing of the last 30 years is a wing it as you go goatfuck.
If he ran a snake , hen he is correct , drainage has nothing to do with supply.
I think the problem you might have could be soeting as simple as the fawcet being stripped , you may be turning the fawcet handle , but no turning on the valve. look into this .
The other thing is that the valve seat could be non functioning. Also , see if the guy turned off the main to your apartment , or if there is a main that suplies the shower . Do you have water elsewhere in your apt ?

I do have water in the kitchen. The plumber is coming back on Monday. Thank you for your advice. Wish me luck!

Sounds strange to me. First, take a look at the "llave de paso" in your apartment, which is the main cut off valve between the buildings water main and your apartment. See if that is fully open, it should be. Then check and see if the guy shut off the water cut off valves in your bathroom, those should not have been touched if the snaked out the batrhoom floor drain. It's true the toilet does not drain into the same pipe as the shower and sinks. Sounds like someone cut off the water in your bathroom on purpose.

My first thought is to check to see if there are any valves in your bathroom that he may have "forgotten" to turn back on. :rolleyes: Is it just the shower that isn't working or the sink/bidet as well? The shower may have its own valve.

Watch the plumber when he comes back on Monday. If it's something stupid like the shower valve which is his fault, you shouldn't have to pay anything! Personally I'd be very cautious about inviting him back.

Back