Pocket wifi

The sim card basically is the thing that "holds" your number. If I put my sim card in your phone, for example, and my friend called me, your phone would ring. You can change back and forth between sim cards without any problem. In some countries, you can even buy a dual sim phone.

One note, when you change sim cards, whatsapp might as you if you want to change to your number to the new sim card's number. Say no and carry on.
BAJeffpat: Thank you. I will try a sim card when in BA.

Question: if, when in Argentina, I replace the sim card in my t-mobile account phone with an argentina sim card, do I loose my US based phone number? I obviously don't understand how sim cards work.

Yes, phone numbers are linked to sim cards. Some phones however are dual sim, on these phones you can have 2 phone numbers simultaneously.

Edit: I replied before reading the other posts and now I cannot delete this post. The question was answered before.

Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestion. I do use T-Mobile and pay extra for their international system. The problem I have using my US cell in Argentina is that to make free whatsapp calls my phone needs to show the words T-Mobile at the top left of the screen next to the wifi sign. If it does not show that, you can still make calls using Whatsapp but you pay $0.20 per minute rather than free. I am often connected to a wifi, and still the T Mobile words do not appear on my phone, so I end up paying for the calls. Because I need to make lots of calls, I end up with a huge bill from T-MObile, even at $0.20 per minute. That's one reason why I thought that using a pocket wifi may solve my problem, but I am not sure if I can rent one in Argentina and what the cost would be. I'll find out soon. I appreciate your response and suggestion. See you soon.
I used to have that t-mob next to the wifi sign but haven't seen it for about 6 months. I was charged one month and called t-mob and they fixed it. Haven't had a charge since. If you see the wifi symbol, and wifi calling is turned on on your phone, the call should be free whether you use WhatsApp or just make a call. I use WhatsApp chat all of the time, everywhere with no charges (even without wifi). Can't remember using WhatsApp calls so I can't say.

T/

Back