Police Camping In Garrisons, Free For All In 9 Provinces.

Rich One

Registered
Well this was the first Salary Negotiation Paritarias, the increase Gained by Cordoba Police, was over 50 %....!! 1000 businesses looted. Rioting in 9 provinces...!!

An Omen for all future negotiations,,,, School teachers, Civil servants will follow...!! Santa will come earlier this year???

The Government claims is orchestrated by Golpìstas...!! Mar del Plata Peatonal looted...! last night

Why do I always feel that the phrase 'Living on the edge' was coined in Argentina?

Well this was the first Salary Negotiation Paritarias, the increase Gained by Cordoba Police, was over 50 %....!!
You rightly criticize the bad stuff like looting, but your comment's tone about the resulting pay rise might leave one with the impression they got too much.
When a cop who earns the equivalent of something like 500 American dollars a month gets a 50% raise, well maybe the raise should have been higher! And what happens in a year and a half when inflation puts the cops' pay right back at the level it was before the unrest... I'd say Argentina's long term mismanagement of monetary policy deserves at least as much blame as the cops.

This isn't the US. Half the workers in Argentina make $3200 pesos per month or less.

I'm not trying to suggest what's fair or right. I just think that you need to put the numbers in context.

You rightly criticize the bad stuff like looting, but your comment's tone about the resulting pay rise might leave one with the impression they got too much.
When a cop who earns the equivalent of something like 500 American dollars a month gets a 50% raise, well maybe the raise should have been higher! And what happens in a year and a half when inflation puts the cops' pay right back at the level it was before the unrest... I'd say Argentina's long term mismanagement of monetary policy deserves at least as much blame as the cops.

Even putting (lack of) professionalism aside, is it possible to raise police salaries to a level where they won't coimear?

I have always said that to reduce corruption and deter crime by putting teeth into the police would require them to earn at least a decent wage. With that and a little backbone by procsecuters and proper sentencing by judges , and this country would make great moves forward , against crime anyway. This goes for corruption , graft , and bribery as well.

What was that Aerosmith song ? " Dream On !!"

This isn't the US.

And this means what?

Median income in US is $2000/mo. 50% make less.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States

Half the workers in Argentina make $3200 pesos per month or less.

And your source is? My sources show Median income in Argentina is $12400, which is about 5K+ pesos /mo at official rate

I have always said that to reduce corruption and deter crime by putting teeth into the police would require them to earn at least a decent wage. With that and a little backbone by procsecuters and proper sentencing by judges , and this country would make great moves forward , against crime anyway. This goes for corruption , graft , and bribery as well.

Deep thoughts? I would suggest good education goes a lot further than bribing police to behave well.

They would also need far higher educational standards. The city of Berkeley, for instance, requires all its officers to have at least a B.A.; in Buenos Aires province, I think it's a sixth-grade education.

Back