police record check?! ahhhhh going crazy!!!

shoush

Registered
so I'm finally getting my residency, as I'm married to an Argentine! i went back to Canada this summer and got my police check in Calgary. Came back here to BA, thought all my papers were correct and went to migraccion expecting to have a DNI! well, apparently the police check has to be authenticated or stamped in ottowa...then blah blah blah. I don't get it :confused:
i wrote the canadian embassy and the gave me 3 different things i need to do. number 1, send it to ottawa to get stamped, number 2. something about the argentina consulate in Toronto and number 3. legalized in arenales 821
i can't imagine how long it would take to send to ottawa from here then returned then sent back to toronto then returned then legalized.
can anyone explain to me how all of this works, that has been through this (explain to me as though I'm 6 years old, because i just don't get it!!!!!!)
Im pretty sure Canadian or american probably have to do the same thing, so please...anyone? anyone?

Legalization at Foreign Ministry ,Step 3. is mandatory for all foreign documents some require Official translation. Steps 1. and 2. can only be addressed by Canadians.
God Luck

Follow the directions of the canadian embassy, they are correct -- your police report needs to be sent to the dept of foreign affairs for authentication -- this cost a couple hundred bucks if i remember correctly. Then that needs to be sent to the Arg consulate in Toronto -- because there's only 2 consulates of Arg in Canada, one TO and the other Mtl -- so if you're from anywhere out west all your docs need to go to the TO consulate. Here they basically charge you something like 50 bucks a document to "authenticate" everything again. The step 3 I don't remember because it was awhile ago, but I think with legalization in TO consulate I don't believe you need it but rules may have changed. You will then have to get everything translated here in buenos aires.

http://international.gc.ca/about-a_propos/authentication-authentification_documents.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

If you search the board somewhere on here I have the steps that I went through in 2010 to get my DNI -- try a search on my handle with "DNI" or "marriage" and somewhere it should come up.

I feel for you, having gone through the whole nightmare in Canada. Getting your documents from Canada is a lot tougher than from the U.S. I went to the Office of Foreign Affairs in person, because I was told it would take a month for them to look at anything sent by mail (even by Fedex). I was living in Montreal at the time, and thought a 4-hour roundtrip drive was excessive. But when I got there, I found people who had flown in from Calgary and Rome -- for the day! -- just to get the certification stamp.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, that office in Ottawa is hateful. If there's any way to do it in person, maybe it's better to wait.

One other thing to consider I may be wrong, but I believe that the police record check can't be older than 6 months for migraciones to accept it.

thank you Silvie!!!! ohhh god, I haven't even started yet...i decided to take a few days to not think about it!
greg, the told me that it doesn't expire as long I'm here and haven't gone back! i don't know if that correct or not!

Back