Portable Modem That Operates On Cell Phone Technology

arlean

Registered
Do y'all remember when I was without Internet for three months and I cried on your shoulder and took advice from several of you here on the forum about how to get it connected?

Did you know there is a modem that looks like a flash drive, plugs into a USB port on your computer and connects you via cell phone tower to the Internet? I am sitting up here at who knows how many feet on the side of a mountain, I get here only by cable car, and I'm looking out at Mt. Villarrica (if I want to) with no phone line and no cable . . ...harrassing you poor people on BAExpats. Now I can rabble-rouse from just about anywhere with nothing but my little netbook and my little modem.

I'm thinking, since no one told me about this, maybe we don't have this in Argentina. Or maybe we do and y'all assumed I was smart enough to already know about that. This little modem is Movistar. It would have solved my problem temporarily, It's a little slow, but it works fine. . My friends up here on the mountain operate a business with one of these things.

Don't you get tethering with either iPhone or Android? Or are there limits that I am unaware of?

Arlean how much was it? Where did you get it? Do you play flat rate or by amount of data you use? Is there a data limit?

Wongjoh I just don't get into all the Iphone stuff. My cell phone is seldom used though I am now in Chile and have it along. I hope everyone who uses them keeps them away from ears and body. My brother-in-law is one of the brain tumor-behind-the-ear victims. I use it when I have to. Y'all probably assumed I was more technicologically up-to-date than I am. I use what I need to but I try to keep it at a minimum.

Lucha54, it was in Chile pesos but I will figure it up for you. I can answer the other question though, when I run out of time it asks if I want an hour, several hours, or 7 days and I get charged accordingly. so while traveling if I know I'll be on only an hour a day, then I can choose that. I now have $49 US on it that is still unusued and unallocated and whenever it runs out, it asks me what I want next and whatever I respond, it takes that much out of the balance and gives me the time. I'll try to give you more info in Arg pesos and dollars. But it is excellent for me on this trip. In effect it charges by the time frame, not minutes or data. Like if I say a week and I use it for one hour during that week well . . . too bad for me. but if I use it 24/7 during that week (assuming I could), it's the same charge. I love it for my purpose right now. It is a little slower than my desktop at home but not unworkable. I am able to write articles, reduce photos and all that I really need to do. My netbook is a bit limiting but the modem works fine.

Lucha54 and anyone else interested--I don't know the Argentina exchange rate right now but in dollars the modem service costs me $20 a week or $1.00 an hour if I were to tell it I only want an hour and that's figuring USD. I'm in Chile and of course you knowi it might be less there since overall Chile is more expensive than Argentina.

Hello Arlean!!!
Great hearing from you again,!!
The only reason i din't mention it to you was because i had it here at the ranch and it was such a pain in the....neck that i didn't think it was worth taking into account since i only had bad experiences with it and ended up being more expensive than my cel service
But as someone just mentioned ,it is better than nothing in case of an emergency

Also in Argentina I think you need to get it with a two year contract

Thanks yall. I hope you know I'm not complaining. I wondered if it is available in Argentina but I see it is. Most people would know about it, I think, and perhaps I would if I even were more into the cell phone. Also iti may be it works better here than Argentina from what McKenna says. If it didn't work for you, naturally you wouldn't wish it on me!!! But it's working surprisingly well here.

You can get a plan here too. My friend here tells me the cost is the same for the plan but the Internet is faster when you sign up for the plan. If I had to sign up for a contract for that long I wouldn't have the modem. I'd be having to stay where there is Internet instead of up here on this mountain. Sadly I'm leaving this beautiful place soon. Heading off to Talca, I think.

Back