Portuguese lessons?

FeelGoodLost

Registered
Hello all, I just have a question regarding Portuguese lessons in the city. I was wondering if anyone knew of any portuguese courses or teachers offering lessons in BA. There's tonnes of Spanish courses but I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to study Portuguese.

Thanks guys.

FeelGoodLost said:
Hello all, I just have a question regarding Portuguese lessons in the city. I was wondering if anyone knew of any portuguese courses or teachers offering lessons in BA. There's tonnes of Spanish courses but I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to study Portuguese.

Thanks guys.

Are you looking for group lessons or private tutoring? I took private lessons with a tutor from Brazil in downtown. Prices were very reasonable. I don't have her name off the top of my head but I can get it if you are interested.

Also, they do offer classes at some of the public universities and extensions programs. Are you a complete beginner, intermediate, or advanced. I will be down in a couple of weeks and I'm either going to go back to my tutor or do do group classes in order to meet people. Also, are you already fluent or advanced in Spanish? The vast majority of Portuguese classes are taught in Spanish. And I actually just remembered my tutor doesn't speak English well....just Spanish, French or Portuguese. That may be a plus or minus. Not sure. Boa Sorte! Let me know if you need help with anything.

estebandepraga said:
try casa brasil on callao near corrientes
they have all levels
sotre
esteban

Yes that is exactly who I went to for private lessons. I took lessons with the owner of the company....her name escapes me. But very nice. She even brought in typical Brazilian snacks for class.

I know CUI, at Junin 222, offers Portuguese classes. Many years ago I went to a Portuguese organization, at Maipu or Esmeralda street, almost Av Cordoba.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It really doesn't matter if the lessons are private or if they are a part of a group. English lessons would be the better option as my Spanish is not the best. I'm thinking I should just wait until I get to Brazil to learn some Portuguese as my options will be much better there.

FeelGoodLost said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. It really doesn't matter if the lessons are private or if they are a part of a group. English lessons would be the better option as my Spanish is not the best. I'm thinking I should just wait until I get to Brazil to learn some Portuguese as my options will be much better there.

While it is true you will have many more options in Brazil, ie tutors that speak English, you will also pay for it. Lessons whether private or group are typically quadruple what you will pay in BsAs. And I'm not exaggerating. If you go to the major cities you are looking at no less than $R40/hour for private, and that's if you're lucky. The norm is typically R$50/hour. Group lessons aren't much better because in the major cities they are catered to mostly tourists and people that want an advanced course i.e. one month or two. It really becomes price prohibitive.

If you are not on a budget then I would say just wait in Brazil also. Also are you currently studying Spanish now? When do you plan to go to Brazil. If you're going to Brazil soon no point in learning Spanish as it will only confuse you if you are not advanced in the language. Good luck!

CCLS Buenos Aires is a Brazilian School right here in Argentina.

I haven't even read a word of this thread, but...

If you need to practice your Portuguese, I recommend 3 places to do it:

1) Recoleta Cemetery
2) Calle Florida
3) La Boca (specifically "El Caminito")

I was in all three places today (and dozens of times over the last month+) and there are more Brazilians than you can throw a Caipirinha at in those locations.

I've also heard people suggest:

4) Patio Bullrich

hello i teach portuguese private lesson native speaker 50 peso per hour
you will learn thanks

Back