Possibility of moving to Buenos Aires

The short answer is: it depends on your company. My partner and I had the exact same issue (we live in the Netherlands most of the year and he’s employed there). His employer wanted to see a written statement from a tax advisor confirming that they (the employer) would not be liable to pay any taxes in Argentina if he worked out of Buenos Aires for less than 6 months. We got this statement (from an Argentinean advisor, it was like €100), and then it was fine. But again, it’s up to the company whether they care or not. You would still be a resident in the UK and pay your taxes there so it shouldn’t be any different for the company. The easier you can make it for them (also with the time difference thing) the better.

As for your other comment on living in Buenos Aires on an English salary, yes, you’ll live like a king.

Get a good attorney....... you are dealing with something that is very important and in which you have no expertise.....when the process is managed by a professional you not only get results, you also eliminate:

1. running around in circles
2. accomplishing nothing
3. getting 5 different answers from 4 different people

Good Luck

The digital nomad visa is unlikely to happen in the near future because (as far as I've heard) it's an initiative by the Buenos Aires city government, which is politically opposed to the national government. This means that the national government generally tries to boycott all of the city's plans (and they are the ones in charge of migration issues, not the city). But who knows, the government might change next year. But I wouldn't count on it.
Another way to put this is: the Buenos Aires city government persists in pushing vanity projects like the digital nomad visa, or buying COVID vaccines, where it knows it has no authority. But it prefers to push these projects for political reasons, and to spend (taxpayers) money on them rather than actually using it for the city they govern. Anyone remember Larreta's lunch with Bill Clinton? That's what the CABA government prefers to do. For your planning purposes, it's better not to pay attention.

I moved from the UK also.... doing the rentista visa right now.

I would not come here looking for a local job.... I would have something you can do remotely and then look to fit into a visa. I'm doing rentista visa (fixed income) which is fairly easy. Message me if you have any questions.

One thing I have noticed is the digital nomad visa but this doesn’t seem to have had any movement for a long time - obviously I would love to retain my existing job and salary and work remotely in Buenos Aires but I would need this visa to materialise for this to become a possibility
.The "visa nomad" program, if it is ever approved, will not create a new form of legal residency.

This is something that most people (incuding me at first) appear to be unaware of.

All the digital nomad program would do is make it legal (if you follow the rules) for a foreigner without temporary or permanent resdiency to work remotely for less than six months or for a temporary or permanent resident to work remotely for more than six months of the year

It appears to have little to do with migraciones, but a lot to do with AFIP even though migraciones would no doubrt have to approve of the program.

The biggest drawback of the 12 month program is that if you are working remotely here for more than six months of the year as an individual who already has temporary or permanent residency or even citizenship, and if you follow the rules, you will pay a very heavy tax burden.

Digital Nomad (less than 6 months)
- Exempt from domestic taxes (except IVA)
- Exempt from Bienes situados en el exterior
- Can in theory access the Savings Account for Tourists once available, and receive a better exchange rate
- Not required to pesify via the MULC
- Possible to use WU, even though current regulation stipulates it is for familiar support (rarely, if ever enforced, users here been doing it for years)
- Must earn income from foreign companies/persons (i.e. visa/passport stamp prohibits working for an Argentine employer)

Digital Nomad (more than 6 months)/Working Remotely for a Foreign Employer as a Citizen or Resident (Temporary or Permanent)
- Has a form of legal residency
- Must obtain a CUIT/CUL/CDI
- Must register with AFIP
- Must adhere to monotributista regime (provided annual income for 2021 is under $2.6 Million pesos at the official exchange rate)
- Must subscribe to an Obra Social
- Required to issue type E facturas to foreign clients
- Must pesify and repatriate (send to Argentina) funds within 5 days of receiving payment for goods/services rendered via the MULC (official exchange rate)
- Depending on province, pay Ingresos Brutos
- For Bienes situados en el exterior that exceed $3,000,000 ARS (not including a primary residency up to $18,000,000 ARS or bonds/Argentine/Provincial debt) you pay a graduated wealth tax with a floor of 0.70% up to a maximum of 2.25%
- If you repatriate at least 5% of the total assets valued abroad (i.e. $150,000 if you have $3 Million ARS worth of assets abroad) AND you keep these assets in Argentina until December 31st of the year, you can become exempt from paying the Bienes Personales

I'm also considering moving there. My family lives in Buenos Aires and every time I go back, it just feels like home... the US never feels this way. It feels like work work work!!! As a quasi-tourist that has seen the ugly side of things and speaks the native tongue, I still love it there.

Even with a remote job, though, it is the banking situation that is a mess. Argentina wants to control dollars, which means they don't play well with US banks, hence the workarounds like WU, etc, which obviously cost money and stress. I'm still trying to figure out a workaround with my friends on how to avoid that mess.

you will never avoid it until the government here removes restrictions.

Back