Possible to get money back from customs charge for package?

systemlock

Registered
Hello all and thank you in advance for your assistance.

I recently received a package sent to me from the US by my family. It contained a pair of sunglasses, cookies, macaroni and cheese, and a pair of pants. It was marked gift and sadly she was advised by the post office to place the value at 80 dollars. Also it was sent thru the US postal service.

Anyway, upon its arrival at my door I was told that I had to pay 300 pesos to receive my package. I explained to him that these were used things on top of the fact that the pants had been purchased here in argentina (I forgot a few things when I went home for christmas). He said that I can go to retiro to try to reclaim my money. The receipt is from "Direccion General de Aduanas - Encomiendas postales internacionales" with a fee listed at $76.50 dollars.

I have zero experience with this and don't actually even know where the building is that I need to go. All I know is wherever I have to go I will have to show up early and bring a book. Please anyone with experience, advice, and tips please let me know what I should expect so I can be the most prepared.

Thank you,
Michael
 

orwellian

Registered
I doubt that they will give you any money back. I've been to Retiro and it's fairly organized for being Argentina. First you will have to take a number at the entrance, then you go through this white door where they deliver your package after your 6 digit number has been called. You might wanna skip that and just head through the door and ask for a supervisor. Or alternatively, tell the people who work at the entrance that you want to see a supervisor.

Next time, tell your relatives to label it as books. The value can be higher than 25 USD for books (I forgot the exact amount). So if it disappears they can still claim the insurance (if any).
 

steveinbsas

Registered
systemlock said:
I explained to him that these were used things on top of the fact that the pants had been purchased here in argentina (I forgot a few things when I went home for christmas).
Believe it or not, it is illegal to send used clothing to Argentina, even though you can bring multiple suitcases full of used clothes with you in checked baggage when you arrive by plane. You would be charged (at least 50%) duty on anything new (with tags) worth over $300 USD that was "found" in your bags if they actually inspected your luggage.

If you do try to get some of the money back they might use the used clothing restriction law against you...you'll never know unless you try, but it sounds like an expensive lesson learned.
 

systemlock

Registered
I guess what upsets me is that the clothing that I had (1 pair of slacks) was not only used and without any tags but was purchased here in buenos aires. Does the used clothing law really apply even to clothing purchased here in argentina? Can anyone tell exactly where the offices are located and at what time you would recomend someone to arrive?
 

mini

Registered
systemlock said:
I guess what upsets me is that the clothing that I had (1 pair of slacks) was not only used and without any tags but was purchased here in buenos aires. Does the used clothing law really apply even to clothing purchased here in argentina? Can anyone tell exactly where the offices are located and at what time you would recomend someone to arrive?
The "spirit" of the law is not for your personal items. The idea is that commerce of used clothing doesn't destroy the local market for new clothes.

I would go down & make your argument. If they gave you the address & told you to do it, it would seems there is a possibility. Bring the package with you.

My Argentina friends says looking sad helps! ;)
 

steveinbsas

Registered
mini said:
The "spirit" of the law is not for your personal items. The idea is that commerce of used clothing doesn't destroy the local market for new clothes.

I would go down & make your argument. If they gave you the address & told you to do it, it would seems there is a possibility. Bring the package with you.

My Argentina friends says looking sad helps! ;)
And wear some very frayed (worn out) pants.

And sing if you have to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwhl4IrPNc

(This performer is one of my all time favorites...if not personal heroes.)
 

GreenLeaf

Registered
The aduana building is very close to the bus station in retiro - cross the road just as you get to the bus station, then cross again across the very wide section of road that has lots of big trucks going along and the aduana is there (look out for a slightly dilapidated looking building with correo argentina signs on it)
 

systemlock

Registered
Thank you all for your help. Next week I will see how much of a snowballs chance in hell I have. I also just got a letter telling me I have another package in retiro that I have to go collect. I will dress in my sunday worst and look as sad and dishelved as possible. I imagine I should say something along the lines of I have no idea what's in there but I think it's books and not clothes that will destroy your local market.
 

orwellian

Registered
systemlock said:
I imagine I should say something along the lines of I have no idea what's in there but I think it's books and not clothes that will destroy your local market.
Yes, good idea. Once they held a package of mine and they asked me what was in there. I told them I didn't know and they gave it to me without me having to pay for it.
 
Top