Posting something 4 kilos weight!

Farenheit

Registered
I want to have something used sent from UK, similar to a typewriter. Weighs 4 kilos, value about 75 dollars, could pack the receipt in case aduanas intercept it to show it's used and lower value. Any chance I will get it to the door, or to correo at retiro, or will I have to go to Ezeiza? Advice welcome please!

this question is nigh on impossible to answer as there really doesn't seem to be any coherence whatsoever as far as how aduanas operates...Sometimes it comes through without any problems (or with minimal problems). Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't even get here. I'd say that with a bulky package, you are more likely to have to pick it up from Eze or Retiro. The charges that get added are also pretty incoherent and include the price of postage. If it's second hand goods, I'm not sure what the rule is if you have a receipt...whether its the value you actually paid or the new value. If you can possibly do without whatever it is, I would...or wait until someone can bring it for you. If it is a typewriter, there are a few places here where you can pick them up cheaply.

Farenheit, its not worth the cost and bother. I have mail forwarded down here every 4-5 weeks, and sometimes that gets held up by aduanas. Mail. As in a slim DHL envelope that they can quickly x-ray to see that it only contains documents. Yet aduanas holds onto it sometimes. The last time I had something boxed shipped down was before Christmas, I ended up flying to Buenos Aires, taking a taxi out to Ezieza, and spent 4 hours at aduanas waiting in lines, paying fees and bribes, and kissing butt. Total cost: 15 hours of my time and about $900.

Thanks both, I guess I will have to wait till I return home. If anyone's flying here anytime soon from UK and is interested in bringing it for a reasonable fee, let me know!

Back