Power Shortage Anyone?

Iznogud

Registered
For the past week my neighborhood, Caballito, has suffered long, excruciating power cuts. Haven't read a lot about them in the newspapers or reported by the media the way I expected or it is usually done.
Has the $hit finally clogged the fan? Is this our current SNAFU level?

Had to stop going to my regular watering holes/coffee spots for the afternoons. First the AC quit working and then the juice stopped flowing so there's no way or point in fixing the AC. This happened to a few places, not just one. Persicco @ Pque Rivadavia as been down for the count almost a week. Probably wasted a lot of icecream and did'nt make much money.

Village Caballito is populated by high pitched screaming kids walking all over people with no regards for private space and little education. Doing my best not to go medieval on their asses, tempation is big. Also is their mindless provocation.

When the sun goes down, streets get really dark and scary. Not pleasant under this heat.

So, how's it going on at your neck of the woods?

Were I live in San Telmo, I haven't had a power outage that I know of for close to a month now. Before that was having problems every week though they were short outages, but then they replaced a bit of faulty cable under the sidewalk and they problems are gone.

So, how's it going on at your neck of the woods?

Palermo Botanico, near Las Heras y Scalabrini Ortiz: Sunday Feb.10 blackout in entire block ~7 hours in afternoon/evening. No others in 2013.

I'm in Las Canitas and so far have only experienced one short power outrage. It only lasted a couple of hours and was a few days ago. I have only been living here since Jan so can't make comment before that.

Down my way, (zona sur), we haven't had any major problems lately, this compared to last year when it was almost guaranteed that every time it rained or the wind blew, we would lose power for at least a few hours, or until afternoon the following business day. At one point we lost power for about a week. When we lose power, after a day or so we tend to lose water as well, so it was not a nice week, hauling in water from those nearby who would pump it up from still-existing wells using a generator. Still, it's kind of normal down here to blow a transformer and lose power for a few hours once every few weeks or so.

Internet (speedy DSL) has been very quirky down here in recent months though. It is as though dns intermittently cannot connect outside argentina, and even more often I get an "empty response" error from youtube. Is it possible this is a sort of low-tech throttling at the ISP, blocking certain high-traffic sites when they are short on bandwidth?

When the power goes out, it's common practice here to unplug everything, or in my case I just cut the main fuse switch to my house until after the power goes back on. The reason being that there are reportedly very high uncontrolled surges when they reinstate power, and the light company does not take responsibility for any damage in this case (so I am told by my inlaws). Though I have not personally tried to test this, I think it's likely true, as one blackout last year fried a fairly nice netgear router that I had left plugged in.

I'm across the road from San Telmo, technically Constitucion, near Independencia subte. We had a power cut last Sunday from about 7pm till midnight. We've had quite a few in the last 6 months, about half a dozen...

Northern Buenos Aires, near Pilar, about 3 full days a year on average.

Got fed up & bought a powerful generator :p

geacuteneacuterateur_zpsca046cd1.jpg

Recoleta near cementery I never have experience a power shortcut not even after the inbusual bigs storms we had this year and Internet here work like charm.

Back