Power Strip's

Kate101

Registered
Does this look like the correct power strip for BA?

VCT USP600 - Universal Power Strip 6 Outlets 100V to 220V/250V and 3500 Watts Built-in Universal Surge Protector with Window Shutters and Circuit Breaker for Worldwide Use

or is this one correct? Shopping on Amazon and not sure which one is correct....Many Thanks

Wonpro Universal Power Strip 5 Outlets 100V-250V and 4000 Watts Built-in Universal Surge Protector with Safety Shutters and Circuit Breaker for Worldwide Use

They are both good. 220v is included. The Watts part is about how much stuff (have to check each artifact consumption) you can plug into it.

Well my first question is what are you wanting to accomplish?

These are both meant to plug in to NEMA outlets so I don't understand their use in Argentina...

Also, these are not voltage convertors. These simply change the shape of the plug/have all
the common world wide ones it looks like.

Again, what are you wanting to get these for/accomplish for your electrical needs?

1.To adapt my US electronics to BA outlets.
2.Hopefully not blow up anything in the process!

ah ok, that's a good question. I assumed they knew what they were talking about :p
If you bring 110V artifacts you CAN'T plug them to 220v outlet, even through a power strip that supports both V, it doesn't transform them.
You'd need a transformer for that.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/voltage-converter-transformer-110-220-volt

I guess I am just looking for an adapter? I can get 110 to 220 adapters and then a surge protector there?

An adapter just changes the shape of the plug.

Many, many US bought electronics and small electrical devices will work perfectly well on EITHER 120volts (usa) or 220volts (argentina)
For instance, I am sitting at a desk with an LG monitor, 2 canon camera battery chargers, and an epson printer that are all smart enough to tell the difference, and act appropriately.
most apple products newer than five years old or so will also work just fine on either.

For these, an adapter, available as an individual little guy you plug your US shaped plug into, or as a plug strip, which is easy and cheap to buy at any corner hardware store here.

Some US devices will ONLY work on 110-120 volts.
For these, you need a transformer.
This is not an adapter- it actually transforms the 220 volts that comes out of the wall here down to 110 or so.
These are generally pretty big and heavy, containing a lot of iron.
Also, best bought here.

Check the labels on your computer and other electrical devices.
If, for instance, they say "input- 100v-240v", then you are fine.

Kate101, for most items, voltage is irrelevant.
Most modern electronics -- cell phones, computers, digital cameras and the like -- will run on any voltage worldwide. Check first, there will be a label somewhere stating the allowable voltage. If it says 100 to 250 volts, 50Hz to 60Hz or something along those lines, you are ok; the only thing you need is a plug adapter.
Hair dryers are different, they have motors and heating elements that would burn out at the wrong voltage. So check the label. In fact anything with a motor is voltage-sensitive.
But solid-state electronics are designed to run on a wide range of voltages.

I was trying to kill 2 birds with one stone...I got now. Just get some simple adapters and then a power strip in BA!

Well Done!

Back