Preexisting Conditions and OSDE or any other Insurance Carrier

LAtoBA

Registered
Hello,

Does anyone know anything about preexisting conditions and health insurance plans here in Argentina, particularly OSDE? I just recently found out I needed surgery with general anesthesia after a relatively benign and stable problem for a year has taken a turn for the worse. Just trying to find out if I would be able to sign up for insurance here and then get the surgery. I was planning on signing up for insurance next month, it's a shame this came out of nowhere. I guess this is a lesson for all always have insurance if you can.

ETA: Is Hospital Aleman the only private hospital in Buenos Aires that is considered good?

Thanks in advance.

J!

I told you I'd do the surgery in my apartment in Recoleta for a flat 800 bucks.....Come on man...

For the moment we have OSDE. We were asked about 10 questions about our health history and that was it. The lady marked the answers on the sheet. The questions were general so, perhaps your pre-existing condition is something that wouldn´t even be covered in the questions although, I don´t remember all of them.

They didn´t actually say they would try to verify anything and they didn´t ask for previous health carriers or doctor´s names. It was much more simple than in the U.S. There is a waiting period before you can use certain aspects of the plan. They can tell you what the period is. I remember her saying that I shouldn´t get pregnant for a few months. (Not trying to anyways!)

Our medical cards arrived in about 7 days.

jayjane said:
For the moment we have OSDE. We were asked about 10 questions about our health history and that was it. The lady marked the answers on the sheet. The questions were general so, perhaps your pre-existing condition is something that wouldn´t even be covered in the questions although, I don´t remember all of them.

They didn´t actually say they would try to verify anything and they didn´t ask for previous health carriers or doctor´s names. It was much more simple than in the U.S. There is a waiting period before you can use certain aspects of the plan. They can tell you what the period is. I remember her saying that I shouldn´t get pregnant for a few months. (Not trying to anyways!)

Our medical cards arrived in about 7 days.

I'm also thinking that I should just ask them if they have any clause on preexisting conditions? That might make just as much sense.

I learned the hard way, I told the truth at first that I have diabetes. That was a mistake. They turned me down.

Lie! They really don't check or once you have been accepted they will not drop you. I am going on four years with the same medical insurance.

just tell them you have no pre-existing conditions and then feign that something hurts, get the tests, and get the surgery...dont go the honest route and tell them about any preexisting conditions

When I signed up for OSDE, it was just filling out a form. It got to a question about my eyes and I asked the gentlemen working there helping me fill out the form if I should mention that I once had minor eye surgery and he said "no, no"....! So the employees even encourage you to make your past clean... or at least this one did.

Hospial Aleman is very good but also Hospital Italiano is.

luismarcos said:
just tell them you have no pre-existing conditions and then feign that something hurts, get the tests, and get the surgery...dont go the honest route and tell them about any preexisting conditions

Yeah I will do that. The only thing I'm worried about is I already went to Hospital Aleman to check it out and the doc told me I would need surgery.

But I'm going to give it a shot and let everyone know how it goes. A friend of mine also told me he had a friend who needed surgery, then signed up for surgery and they weren't able to deny him the surgery once he was approved for insurance. So we shall see.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

LAtoBA said:
Yeah I will do that. The only thing I'm worried about is I already went to Hospital Aleman to check it out and the doc told me I would need surgery.

But I'm going to give it a shot and let everyone know how it goes. A friend of mine also told me he had a friend who needed surgery, then signed up for surgery and they weren't able to deny him the surgery once he was approved for insurance. So we shall see.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

If you were told that you will need surgery at HA, but you did that through the ER and payed out of pocket, most likely there is nothing in their records indicating that you need surgery, etc. You see, for what it is worth, there is no such thing as a unified clinical history of patients that is unified and accessible by different doctors, insurance companies, etc. Also, with the passing of the new law a few days ago, they are not supposed to be able to turn you down with pre-existing conditions, this law should be in effect in 3 months aprox.

Back