Prefectura Protests

I just can't make complete sense out of this one. Why would they want to alienate these people? Or are they dumb enough to think these wage decreases (especially in a climate of inflation 25% and more) were not going to have any adverse affect whatsoever?

What el_expatriado makes sense but it is a drastic measure and in a volatile economic environment as it is right now, it is a stupid move.

A lot of people already think the economy is nearing some sort of collapse (whether that is accurate or not is a different discussion), every move this government makes adds more fuel to those rumors and fears.

I know someone in the Prefectura. His salary is being cut by $4,000 /mo. This is terrible, as this the one force that does do a good job at security.

First the Coast Guard, then Gendarmeria, then a group from La Bonarense, then certain sectors of the Navy joining in. Also, all three factions of the CGT are on board with this. And Aldo Rico too? Yikes.

The heads of all (yes, all) the various political blocs in the Camera de Diputados have issued a declaration asking the "Fuerzas de Seguridad" to "adecuar sus acciones a pautas de funcionamiento democratico y subordination a las autoridades legalmente constituidas, en todo de acuerdo con la Constitucion Nacional." (Translation: keep their actions in line with the norms of democratic functioning and subordination to the legally constituted authorities, in accord with the National Constitution).

No joke.

Edit: correction... apparently not all signed the document. Claudio Losano (Frente Amplia Progresista) did not sign. Other groups from the far left and far right might not have signed either.

Well, the situation is quite messy and complicated. This didn't start yesterday, it goes back 20 years. The state paid the workers of those institutions in black, not legal. They started trials in the supreme court and not too long, they won and got those amounts in blank.

Now, they are not ruled by the same working laws as a private/public company, the LCT (Ley de Contrato Laboral, Working Contract Law) does not apply to them, they are basicaly in a limbo using decrees by the executive power. They didn't get this amount in the salary, they were getting 'additionals' in their check stub. So, instead of being paid, for example 10,000 ARS, they have a basic salary of 3,000 and the rest are adittionals added to it.

This decree changes that, so now they are only getting their small basic salary and a few additionals, not all of them (that were already applying to their situation). It is illegal for a employer to start paying you less because they want to, the law (LCT) states that, but because they do not use that, the state can do things like that. The chiefs that ressigned today were put there by Cristina, that's why they had to quit. The people working in those buildings didn't let them leave, they had to spent all night there and due to the pression, they quit.

Basically the government needs money and it's trying to control the money of this institutions. They tried a bold move and the people reacted. Now.. who is that dumb to think that this wasn't going to bring some sort of movement or strong reaction?

I'd be interested to know how the payment structure works with the Navy, Army and Air Force.

nicoenarg said:
Wander, I am waiting for the day when you might add something valuable to the discussion on this forum. Your generalised statements reek of towing the party line. No one is interested in that BS.

What smells fishy to you? Who is rubbing their hands with pleasure and what the hell do you exactly mean by that?

Are you disagreeing with the scenarios presented by other posters here?

Add something valuable or don't add anything at all.

So you want to speak for everybody on this site by saying that no one is interested in this BS! Reek of towing the party line? What did you start the post for anyway? I'm not disagreeing with anyone on this site and the general feeling of the postings were that no one was really sure what is happening anyway.

I know the government were going to give pay rises to the lowest ranks in the prefectura and at the same time cut top ranking officials high salaries. There was a mistake with these payments (done by the Human Resources department of the Prefectura) and instead of increases in salaries they cut them) This caused the Prefectura to protest, they were supported by the Gendarmería. The Security minister solved the problem with the payments some hours ago but they remain in the street. Any Military movement in the street as big as this has to be watched carefully and the causes of why they are there have to be known in full before we can take any conclusions. It still smells Fishy to me and yes there are people rubbing their hands, and that is not towing the party line but defending Democracy!

Wander said:
So you want to speak for everybody on this site by saying that no one is interested in this BS! Reek of towing the party line? What did you start the post for anyway? I'm not disagreeing with anyone on this site and the general feeling of the postings were that no one was really sure what is happening anyway.

I know the government were going to give pay rises to the lowest ranks in the prefectura and at the same time cut top ranking officials high salaries. There was a mistake with these payments (done by the Human Resources department of the Prefectura) and instead of increases in salaries they cut them) This caused the Prefectura to protest, they were supported by the Gendarmería. The Security minister solved the problem with the payments some hours ago but they remain in the street. Any Military movement in the street as big as this has to be watched carefully and the causes of why they are there have to be known in full before we can take any conclusions. It still smells Fishy to me and yes there are people rubbing their hands, and that is not towing the party line but defending Democracy!
i don`t think the prefectura people actually know what to do. they have no union and no representatives. they make it up as they go along. and it`s hard to deal with them as they are not used to negotiating and they have no representatives so the goverment has no one to bribe.

If it had been an 'administrative mistake' and nipped in the bud asap, I doubt we would have seen such a turn out of uniforms.
There's a real grievance here and we should all take note in as much as the government should.
As for democracy?

el_expatriado said:
Wages for the security services are a mess. The agents are not happy with their wages, so they go and get a judge to grant an amparo to get a wage increase. There is a whole industry of lawyers behind this.

Very soon after arriving to Argentina, I realized something... Argentina has too many lawyers. This is reflected in the insane amount of paperwork for the most admin stuff.

Back