President Sanchez of Spain Visits Bs. As.

Do Argentine's really have a superiotiry complex? The people I contact with the most are family, and I do not see them thinking they are superior. I don't socialize a lot so I am interested how does the superiority complex manifest in day-to-day life.

After 20 years of observation I conclude that they believe they are superior to other LATAM countries . Ask around for the pejoratives words they use for Bolivianos and Paraguayos , etc. The popular feeling is reflected in President Fernandez famous words "We descend from the Boats , from Europe " They are Indians ..! No one in Argentina wants or accepts having Indian or African Ancestors, seemed as inferior

After 20 years of observation I conclude that they believe they are superior to other LATAM countries . Ask around for the pejoratives words they use for Bolivianos and Paraguayos , etc. The popular feeling is reflected in President Fernandez famous words "We descend from the Boats , from Europe " They are Indians ..! No one in Argentina wants or accepts having Indian or African Ancestors, seemed as inferior
I know quite a few Argentines, from family, to friends to acquaintances, to the people who just cross my path in life, they are confident and full of pride. (I see nothing the matter with it. Stuff like that doesn't bother me. I am only responsible for me and how I decide to behave. I errr on the side of "HUMILDE.")

With fewer years of observation, this is also my feeling. I don't get it so much myself here, being a white (even pink, like Peter Ustinov) European, but people I know, with different skin colour, have certainly come up against this superior attitude. I think it's more obvious among Argentinians abroad, and since I came here my opinion has become more favourable (it had nowhere to go but up, really).

Of course there are nice, humble people here, but almost every taxi driver or shop assistant I've come across has banged on at length about his or her European family and his travels there and how I must feel really at home here in Buenos Aires. I plan to take Girino's advice and make sure to include the words 'We the Europeans...' / 'We in Europe...' in every sentence I can.

With all their warts (like any country) I still like the Argentines. I also like my favorite joke about them.

"Why do Argentines like to go outside when it's lightening? Because they think God wants to take their picture".

My apologies if I have posted that before. I may have. It's a common joke about Argentina in the Caribbean countries.

With fewer years of observation, this is also my feeling. I don't get it so much myself here, being a white (even pink, like Peter Ustinov) European, but people I know, with different skin colour, have certainly come up against this superior attitude. I think it's more obvious among Argentinians abroad, and since I came here my opinion has become more favourable (it had nowhere to go but up, really).

Of course there are nice, humble people here, but almost every taxi driver or shop assistant I've come across has banged on at length about his or her European family and his travels there and how I must feel really at home here in Buenos Aires. I plan to take Girino's advice and make sure to include the words 'We the Europeans...' / 'We in Europe...' in every sentence I can.
I tend to agree. It is a stereotype that many other South Americans hold, but I don't often find the superior attitude here, in fact, quite the contrary. Many people seem to be increasingly down on the place and talk openly about it being a second rate and under-developed country heading downwards not upwards.

But I do recall calling into a real estate agency one day and once the guy realized I was a foreigner made no attempt to sell me anything but instead spent about 20 minutes telling me all about how great Argentina was because it had Maradona, Messi, the Pope, and the Queen Maxima of the Netherlands.

Back