Price Comparison Results; Coto, Disco, And Local Fruit Stand

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
I just did a quick price comparison of the goods we buy the most. Here are the results. These are regular prices, not specials. I won't bother to list the brands, but I compared same brands. Prices for veggies are /Kilo.

Disco Coto
Milk 5.79 5.45
Eggs 12.59 12.65
Butter 9.59 8.95
Bread 20.45 19.89
Flour 2.52 2.65
Potatoes 10.00 13.00
Carrots 7.00 4.00
Oranges 6.00 5.00
Cif cleaner 15.59 12.99
Chicken 59.99 40.00
Veg Oil 7.83 7.39
Sugar 7.49 4.80
Bananas 12.00 9.00
Apples 19.00 19.00
Mozzerela 72.00 68.50

Comments:
1. Our local fruit stand is about the same price as Coto but with much better fruit and veggies.
2. Coto's prices on chicken and meat are about the same as our local butcher. The butcher has much better quality meat.
3. We buy our dry goods and packaged goods (milk, butter, cleaning products, paper towels) at Coto, buy our veggies at the local stand, and buy our meat at the local butcher.
4. I'll still buy my Schofferhofer Hefeweizen beer at Disco.

Hope this helps someone.

Have a nice day.

GS

Check the websites of the main stores. They have discounts for certain cards on certain days. I usually stock up my groceries every Monday at COTO when they have 20% off when paying by Banco Nacion's debit card.

But I agree with you in regards to buying fruits and veges at the local fruit stand. The one close to me is both a butcher and a fruit/vege store. So, that saves me the trouble.

looking at the prices, even with the blue-Euro of 8, is amazing how expensive life is there. Puffff, I'm flying Thursday and already starting to feel me squeezed.

i love carrefour, especially in comparison with Disco. also on weekends they have great sales!

Not sure what barrio you guys live in, but I pay about 40% of those prices (for produce) here in Congreso:

Here are some things I bought yesterday:
Blueberries $3,80 per box
Apples $9,50 per KG
Oranges $4,00 per KG
Eggs $8,00 dozen
Bananas $8,00 per KG
Avocados $3,00 each
Peaches $9,00 per KG
Strawberries $11,00 per KG
Corn on the cob $2,50 each
There is an AWESOME self service verdulería called "La Maritna" on Av. Belgrano right off Entre Rios. Best prices outside of mercado central, and huge, self service and you pick your own everything. No waiting on the guys to pick the produce for you, I prefer to pick my own.

This is a good website that was just launched to compare the prices of all the supermarkets in your neighborhood.

http://www.preciosensusitio.gov.ar/

I live in pvca Buenos Aires and don't shop at grocery stores. I'm just looking at my Makro receipt from last week to compare prices to above.

Eggs - 44.76 for 5 dozen so about 9 pesos a dozen.
Banana - 7.80 per kilo (10 per kilo at my local fruit stand)
Cif Cleaner 9 pesos
Milk - 3.98 box (buy by the carton so 10 boxes per carton)
Apples - I buy by the giant box and it's 129 pesos ( I would guess it's easily 15 kilos in the box but I'm not sure)
Chicken - legs/thighs I buy for about 12 pesos a kilo. I got breasts on sale for 23 pesos a kilo 3 weeks ago at Makro, normal prices is 30+.
Oil (sunflower/corn) 102 for 10L bottle so 10.2 per liter

I find our local fruit/veggie place is not much cheaper so I don't tend to make a special trip there.

This is a good website that was just launched to compare the prices of all the supermarkets in your neighborhood.

http://www.preciosensusitio.gov.ar/

Is there a law in Argentina that prevents supermarkets from telling you how their prices compare to the competitors?

In the UK you regularly get Asda, Tesco etc showing 2 trolleys full and saying "for the same price as in the opposition you can get double the amount.... blah blah

stuff like this
fullZZZZZZTVD080925120739PDC.jpg

fullZZZZZZTVC080315115919PIC.jpg

fullZZZZZZTVC090112085243PDC.jpg

Asda-advert-Rollback.jpg

brand_match.jpg

It seems like all the supermarkets in Argentina have a cartel going and aren't interested in competing with one another in prices :huh:

Back