Price of Yerba Mate

Arizona Guy

Registered
Has the price for Yerba gone up in Argentina? I live in the US and buy it regularly up here. For years I have paid around $5-$7 for a kilo of Rosamonte, Seleccion Especial. Over the last several months, it has been difficult to find this particular brand, which is my favorite. Yesterday, I found it for a little over $7 for a 1/2 kilo. I bought 2 kilos for $14 and change, more than double what I used to pay. I also bought a kilo of Taragui for about $6.50, less than half the price of Rosamonte. Just wondering why Rosamonte has gone up so much.

Prices are going up here too with inflation, and there is a shortage of yerba, so supermarkets were rationing it a few weeks back, dont know if they still are..

I think the shortage was caused because the gov was trying to control prices of stuff sold locally because it was going up in price because of inflation.. bit like they did with meat a few years back..

I paid almost 20 dollars for a kilo of Amanda in a shop in Seattle recently. According to the owner, the Agentine government raised the price 100% and he had to cover this increase in price. It was about 10-12 bucks until a couple of months ago. I might start using Brazilian or Paraguayan yerba, which has not gone up, from now on.

Some supermarkets sell yerba mate from Uruguay!!! and at almost $ (arg) 30

The price dropped about 30% in the past couple of weeks up here in the north, 19 pesos per kilo at Wal Mart today. Maybe it will drop in Bs. As. soon.

You can order yerba by phone from a co-op (4958 0679). It's $20/kilo currently (and you have to buy 4 kilos to get it delivered). Still expensive, but better than supporting the oligarquía.

Back