"Prime Rib" question...

EvergreenGal

Registered
Okay...I have looked online and found that "bife ancho" can mean 3 cuts of meat...one being prime rib....I need to know if there is a specific name or pharse to ask for just prime rib??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

the best thing to do is not worry about what the cuts are called in the US. it's not just that the cuts have different names here, it's that they are different cuts. For example, people try to say that lomo is filet mignon, but it's not- it's lomo! haha. for some tips, lomo, vacio and bife de chorizo are all tasty, for soup osobuco is delicious and really cheap (like 3 pesos at the supermercado), but my personal favorite is tira de asado. they might not be texas-style ribs, but they sure are delicious!

buen provecho!

Yes, I understand that a lot of the cuts are different than in the states...I want to prepare a prime rib roast for a few friends...I have seen what looks similar to a prime rib roast here...I just want to be sure I am asking for the correct item and/or looking for the correct cut in a grocery store.

EvergreenGal said:
Okay...I have looked online and found that "bife ancho" can mean 3 cuts of meat...one being prime rib....I need to know if there is a specific name or pharse to ask for just prime rib??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Bife Ancho = three select cuts - Prime Rib, Rib Eye Roast (ojo de bife), Rib Eye Steaks

Cuts of Meat in Argentina (Spanish-English)

Aguja - Chuck Roast
Asado - Short Ribs, Roast Prime Rib
Bife Ancho - Prime Rib, Rib Eye Roast, Rib Eye Steaks
Bife Angosto - Porterhouse or Strip Steak
Bife a la Rueda - Round Steak
Bife de Alcatra - Sirloin Steak
Bife de Costilla -T-Bone Steaks
Bife de Chorizo - Sirloin Rump Steaks
Bife de Vacio - Flank Steak
Bola de Lomo - Sirloin Tip
Carne Picada - Ground Beef
Chinchulin - Lower Intestines
Chorizo - Sausage
Churrasco de Paleta - Pot Roast
Colita de Cuadril - Rump Steak
Costillas - Rib Roast
Cuadrada - Bottom Round
Cuadril - Rump Roast or Rump Steak
Entrana - Skirt Steak
Falda - Flank Steak
Higado - Liver
Lengua - Tongue
Lomo - Tenderloin
Matambre - Flank Steak
Mollejas - Sweetbreads
Morcilla - Blood Sausage
Nalga - Beef Round for Stew
Osobuso - Osso Busco
Palomita - Shoulder Roast in Butterfly Cut
Peceto - Beef Round Steaks, Roast Eye of Round
Pecho - Brisket
Rinones - Kidneys
Tapa de Asado - Rib Cap Roast
Tira de Asado - Short Ribs
Tapa de Nalga - Cap of Round Roast
Tapa de Cuadril - Cap of Rump Roast
Tripa Gorda - Tripe
Vacio - Flank Steak

Also, porterhouse and prime rib are usually not offered the same way as in other countries but are instead parts of other cuts. However, due to the increase in demand and change of tastes these days, those specific cuts are becoming more popular in Argentinean restaurants. If some of this sounds confusing, don’t worry. More will be explained later.
------------------------------------
Deborah | Nov 10, 2007

Okay…I am looking to do a prime rib for Christmas…How do I ask a butcher for one? You say that “bife ancho” is part prime rib…do I just get a larger cut of this?
Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Deborah
-------------------------------------
Deborah | Nov 10, 2007 | Reply
Hi Deborah,

Just ask for bife ancho con tapa or if you want it with bones then bife ancho con hueso. Make sure to tell them that you want a large chunk right away or else they might just start slicing steaks immediately after.

Asado Arg | Nov 10, 2007 | Reply

---------------------------------------

More info here....

Thank yo so much Lucas!!!!! Guess I had forgotten about asking this question a while back, lol!!! Didn't do it then so forgot about it...again thanks!!

So you know...my friends got the "Prime Rib" and it was wonderful... I did a fresh rosemary, olive oil, fresh ground salt and pepper wet rub for it and put it in my Nesco Roaster....perfect!! I even had horseradish sauce I had brought from the states last year...did Yorkshire Pudding...my Grandmother's recipe.....nice au jus for it. Squash w/ brown sugar and butter....and baked a French apple tart for dessert....yum!!!

**with the left over beef...made a fantastic veggie beef soup! Bones for stock and then to the neigbors dog! Nothing was wasted!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MilHojas Articles 13
O Expat Life 18
Aztangogirl Expat Life 2
Aztangogirl Expat Life 8
S Expat Life 4
Back