Problem with dry cleaner - suggestions?

austin

Registered
Over a month ago I sent out a valuable Indian rug to be cleaned by a dry cleaner (5 a Sec). The rug was promised to be cleaned within two weeks max. Over a month has transpired and the cleaners give excuse after excuse as to why it is not ready. Among the excuses: "next week", then "it's drying - the weather is cold. Takes time", then "The delivery man is sick" etc. I am beginning to think that they have stolen or robbed it. I've heard about the Subsecretaria de Defensa del Consumidor. Is this the way to go? File a claim? Has anyone done this? Any suggestions about what to do. The company, cleaners, acts really indifferent.

How old was the rug? Was it Natural dyes? Are you confident they did not ruin it? (don't know how to clean)Maybe they just wanted your money? (Often I had to pay for dry cleaning up-front in BA)
To clean a rug, from my own experience, about 3 days in Turkey, 7-10 days in USA... so 1 month might not be too crazy long in Argentina...

I don't think 5asec has robbed your rug. They are a well known international company.

Just go with the receipt and ask them to return it unfinished if you are tired of waiting.

It is too late for this rug, but the best place for rug-cleaning is Dandolo y Primi. They will celebrate their 100th. anniversary this year.

They pick up and deliver - may charge a bit more than the local dry cleaner, but they are tops. They also do antique rug restoration - did a great job repairing some moth-eaten Orientals I inherited.

Since 5àSec is a franquicia, you can too threaten to contact the main 5àSec office :
5 à Sec Argentina S.A.
Av. Santa Fé 1752, 6 piso B, Capital Federal
1060, Buenos Aires
Andrea Alvarez Burgos
5811-0595 / 5811-0582

By rug, do you eventually mean a kilim since it's indian ? If a kilim, like cbphoto asked, it's probably natural/vegetal dyes and I wonder how they would react to a dry cleaning (not an expert though).

5 a sec! Has anyone else had a problem with them? The last time I got my clothes back I had 2 bras in 4 pieces, a pair of jeans with some sort of brown dye down the leg (which are now ruined) and the majority of the clothes have shrunk!

Seriously I am not fussy about these things usually, but just want to warn you all! If there is anything you don´t want getting ruined don´t take it there! Maybe they were just having a bad day when I took my things! Who knows?!

PS- I hope the rug survives!

5 a sec is a franchise chain, and its employees know nothing about delicate fabrics, stain removal, etc. They just throw everything together into one of their machines.

Neighborhood "tintorerias" are much better - they are individually owned by people who have been in the business many years, know what they are doing, and are interested in their shops' reputation.

The tintoreria on Santa Fe and Larrea used to be excellent too (will check promptly if it is still open).

SaraSara said:
It is too late for this rug, but the best place for rug-cleaning is Dandolo y Primi. They will celebrate their 100th. anniversary this year.

They pick up and deliver - may charge a bit more than the local dry cleaner, but they are tops. They also do antique rug restoration - did a great job repairing some moth-eaten Orientals I inherited.
I will second this suggestion. I have used these folks and they are super pros.

Back