Pure breed Beagle for adoption

French jurist

Registered
I've found this dog right in front of the entrance to my house (in a barrio cerrado, near Pilar) about 6 weeks ago.

I placed signs everywhere, browsed extensively internet, contacted local vets & shelters = the owners can't be found.

I won't be able to keep him since I already have 4 dogs, feeding an additional 2 from the street and because he's a male and I have already two males.

Like said he's a male, about 4/5 years (according to the vet. I'd say rather 5), perfectly healthy.

His character :
. quite independant but is looking for affection too. He is quite dominant with my other males (like "let me tell you that this is my water from nowon") but is not agressive (he just goes "grrrrr", nevertheless my males got tired and they fought two weeks ago : my dogs are twice the size of the beagle hence I'm afraid he would lose an eye or something).
. with humans he is absolutely lovely, I can take his food while he's eating. It's obvious he got raised among children because a friend came over with her little girl and he was standing by her and would not let my dogs approach her (!).
. the major CON about him : he's a runaway dog, like any hunting dog, but in his case I've never seen a dog like this. If I lock him in the kitchen, he jumps on the bench, opens the sliding window (4 ft above the ground) and manages to sneak in-between the window bars to jump out !!! :eek: I know this sounds unbelievable (I'll try to catch him on video & post it on Youtube, it should become popular!). Also, if I let him out of the garden in the street and if he decides to start running, don't expect him to stop, he'll keep on running (liberty, liberty !). Therefore if you have a terrace with bars which have a space in-between of 8 inches or more, this will be a dangerous situation since he will jump from the terrace for sure (and he likely doesn't know how to fly).
. He is damn smart, maybe too much and would do anything to catch food (go on the table, jump from the table to the kitchen desk and so on... This is amazing but can prove annoying with time).

Another CON : this is quite normal since this is a new house for him, but expect him to make little pees everywhere the first week in order to flag his territory.

So, to summarize, he's a lovely dog, nice with kids, not agressive at all but quite dominant with other males, he runs away when he's given the opportunity, damn smart (opens sliding windows), perfectly healthy.

I'm looking for responsible people (he's not a toy) and in the worst case I'll place an ad on mercadolibre (asking for money in order to get rid of the potential bozos).

He can be shown 40 mins away from BA (Zona Norte in a gated community) or eventually I can rent a car and bring him to BA.

beag3.jpg

beag4.jpg

beag2.jpg

My sister has been keeping beagles for over thirty years so may I add a couple of other points for prospective owners? Beagles are fiercely loyal and completely dependable and are fantastic to keep around the house provided you, the owner, live up to their standards. Send the kids out to the shops with the beagle 'in charge' of them and you know they are all going to come home safely.

A beagle is an intelligent dog and needs to know that you, the owner, is absolutely in charge. Not a dog for beginners.

A beagle is a working dog and needs lots and lots of exercise. If you are not prepared to walk those long distances yourself, make sure that the dog walker you hire genuinely walks long distances and doesn't just tie his charges up under the trees in the park all day(see other threads about this...)

A beagle is a hungry dog but will become a fat pudge if allowed to eat more than it ought. Know how much it should eat and give it no more than that. Incidentally my sister's current beagle knows the difference between closing the pantry door (clunk) and closing and locking the pantry door (clunk-click) - with hilarious consequences - but not so hilarious for my brother-in-law who is the one who usually forgets.

And finally... FJ - how do you get your pictures to appear in the body of the message? Whenever I post pictures they end up as thumbnails at the bottom of the page.

elhombresinnombre said:
FJ - how do you get your pictures to appear in the body of the message? Whenever I post pictures they end up as thumbnails at the bottom of the page.

Homme sans nom : I use the linking function from Photobucket. That way I'm not limited by the forum's restrictions in terms of file sizes. (And good luck to the "Rose" for the "Crunch" to come soon : you are the favorites this year ;) . Don't know if you are English though, but British yes)

FJ said - (And good luck to the "Rose" for the "Crunch" to come soon : you are the favorites this year )

Thanks for the support :) But there's enough time and enough slack in the system for you to regain your place at the top.

FJ said - (Don't know if you are English though, but British yes)

I'm English so if England win, it's a great win for England; if Scotland or Wales were to win it would be a great win for Britain and if I were Scottish or Welsh I'd be rooting for ABE. And you thought we were a United Kingdom? :)

Indeed, regarding the Crunch, the acronym ABE could be useful, even in French as for the say "À Bon Entendeur" (a word to the wise is enough).
Despite the aweful defence of the Bleus in last game, I expect to find on the rugby field for the upcoming event, the three colours of our flag : some blue, some white... and some red :p

Well, I just want to add that this really is an adorable dog. He is so sweet and content to sit at your feet while you chat away (after he's taken his walk). He loves people, is not aggressive with or afraid of strangers, doesn't jump up on people, is well mannered, etc. He's just a happy go lucky dog. Of course FJ is taking really good care of him but as he said, there are too many males in the house. I'm sure once he is in his home with his new family, as Hombre said beagles are loyal and I'd bet he wouldn't run off.

He's so lovely. I really really hope finds a good home.

My beloved beagle died last year. Another point on beagles - they're very hardy dogs, rarely get ill and live to a ripe old age. Mine was 14 when she died, and was still running around right up until the end.

I'd take him in a snap if I had more space. Hope you find a good home for him.

Surprise surprise !

A woman living near where I live left me a message yesterday on my mobile and it seems it might be her beagle!

If that is true, I guess she will be happy to get him back after two months!

I'll ask here basic questions about the color characteristics of the dog anyway to make sure she's really her "mummy" (also the name to see if he reacts).

This story might end up really well!

Back