Pushy Argentinian therapists

Fiscal

Registered
I’ve had two different Argentinian therapists who really pressure me to book time with them, insisting 2x a week, and being pretty demanding about it. Is this typical for Argentina and like just the style of therapy here? I kind of feel like they are pushing me sessions because they just want the $.

Were they both psychoanalytic therapists? Psychoanalytic therapists usually do require to see patients a few times per week. I personally don't care for psychoanalysis and prefer other forms of psychotherapy, but there are a lot of Freudian psychologists in Argentina! The non-Freudian psychologist I had there never pressured me to see her more than once per week.

One was a psychoanalyst, the other just a regular therapist. But both really pushy and seem irritated when I tell them I need to check my calendar etc…

One was a psychoanalyst, the other just a regular therapist. But both really pushy and seem irritated when I tell them I need to check my calendar etc…
That's annoying! But I don't think that's typical of most therapists there. I know other people that were in therapy -even psychoanalytic- and went once a week too. Not that many people can afford to go to therapy multiple times per week nowadays --even if you're paying Argentina's rates.

I'm currently seeing a family therapist who was messaging me literally every day to arrange our next visit wether it be in person or videocall. She's pretty expensive so I had to tell her I just couldn't afford to see her so often and since then she's calmed down. It was getting quite intrusive!

From what I've heard, responsible therapists insist on continuity even if it is only twice a month.

If your gut feeling about these therapists is negative, then it may be best to keep searching.

Another alternative is Mindvalley. They offer over 60 different courses on virtually all areas of self improvement and healing by world-class experts, including a nifty meditation & sound therapy app. that I use every day. Signing up from Argentina costs $200 - $300 for a year of unlimited access.

You could also look at taking a Gestalt therapist training course on Udemy for less than $100, and joining an online group where trainees practice on each other as often as they want.

It is nornal to schedule twice a week at the beginning if they see you need it because a recent or complicated separation. Following your posts, this might be the case.

Back