Q/about Residency In The Us And Arg

Girino

Registered
Hi, I am an European citizen and I have been a permanent resident of the US since 2013.
My soon-to-be-husband is Argentinian, and once married I will apply to sponsor him for a Green Card as well, so that we can move together to the US. In the meanwhile (it can take 2 years to sponsor him in the US), we will be living in Argentina because we can't afford anymore the expensive European lifestyle.

In order for me to stay legally in Argentina for 2 years, he will be sponsoring me to get my residency in Argentina.
I am seriously concerned that becoming a resident of Argentina could be perceived as abandoning my US residency, but I have no other mean to stay legally in Argentina for two years (unless I find an Argentinian employer that will sponsor me, but then I would be poor again).

I earn my living mostly from the US and UK, and I pay my taxes in the US as a freelancer - and I intend to do so in the upcoming two years.
Has anybody of you been in a similar situation? e.g. with a GC spouse but moved to ARG for a couple of years with the intent to return to the US? Did you have to go through the sponsorship all over?
Thanks

You don't need to apply for residency in Argentina. Just do as many of us do. Leave the country every 3 months. The day trip to Colonia del Sacramento is relatively inexpensive and will allow you to stay for a while unquestioned. Basically because your passport is EU. Some people here will say it's illegal. Some will say it's unnecessary. Technically it's a complicated issue. Many of us around here do the 3 month colonia runs without a problem. Some report to have done it for 7 years without issues.

Won't this affect my ability to get a DNI and to do stuff that residents are allowed to do, but tourists are not?
e.g. getting a driver license (I have a US one, for that matter), paying reduced entrance fees at museums, etc.?

It's a very good question. First, you can leave Argentina 3 times and go to Colonia before they prevent you from re-entering. Then you'll have to fly back to Europe and re-enter Argentina and repeat the whole process. About your US residency, I'm not sure you can live outside the US for two years without losing your residency. You should double check that. You might have to live in the States while your fiancee lives here.

Yes, if you go the tourist route, you won't have a DNI, etc. But honestly, if you're only going to be here for at most 2 years, I probably won't go through the hassle of doing the residency here, esp if it could impact your US residency.

It could take two years to get a DNI. It's not worth the hassle.

I'm not sure you can live outside the US for two years without losing your residency. You should double check that. You might have to live in the States while your fiancee lives here.

I have already applied for a re-entry permit to that purpose (in the US).
As a tourist, my fiancée can't stay more than 90 days in the States and he can't work, and the US is definitely a place where we would need at least two income to live on.

Thanks for those of you who said that the time and effort spent to get a DNI is not worth the hassle. I will consider that.

In order for me to stay legally in Argentina for 2 years, he will be sponsoring me to get my residency in Argentina.
I am seriously concerned that becoming a resident of Argentina could be perceived as abandoning my US residency, but I have no other mean to stay legally in Argentina for two years (unless I find an Argentinian employer that will sponsor me, but then I would be poor again).

As soon as you are married you can apply for permanent residency in Argentina. It will have no effect whatsoever on your US residency and you do not have to say anything about this in the USA. Going to Colonia (or anywhere else) to maintain a tourist visa is not necessary.

It could take two years to get a DNI. It's not worth the hassle.

Thanks for those of you who said that the time and effort spent to get a DNI is not worth the hassle. I will consider that.

The DNI will be issued automatically when you are granted permanent residency, which shouldn't even take two months, let alone two years. It is the citizenship process which requires two yeas of residency in Argentina and that process goes a lot more smoothly if you already have a DNI.

Getting married to an Argentine is one of the easiest ways there is to get permanent residency in Argentina...and receive the DNI (which will be mailed to you.) Permanent residency only requires that you be in Argentina one day every two years and once your husband has a green card to live in the USA you can let your Argentine permanent residency expire. Nonetheless, you will have a DNI that is good for ten years and you will never be denied reentry to Argentina with or without your husband.

The most important thing you have to be sure of is how much time you need to spend in the USA each year to maintain you permanent residency and if you need to enroll in an "acceptable" health insurance plan as specified by the ACA.

If you are able to maintain your permanent US residency and spend at least 335 (perhaps 330) days outside the US each year, you will not have to have health insurance in the USA.

You definitely should continue to file and pay taxes int the USA in any case.

You should also double check everything I've written here. :rolleyes:

Back