Quality of life declining?

jeff1234

Registered
Has anyone else recently noticed early signs of declining quality of life in BsAs?

La Plata has always attracted immigrants who come to take advantage of our schools. By far the majority find jobs and blend in. The police and citizen patrols quickly resolved any issues. Until now. Two (apparent) immigrants have set up camps in the greenspace along our busiest street. About a kilometer apart they've spread out their belongings and spend their days lounging in their sleeping bags or drinking nearby. They've been there for at least 2 months. Looks like I'm going to have to make a complaint.

Today I was walking along the same busy street, a young man and woman ahead of me. They stop, the man turns and begins urinating on a house. He takes his time, the woman waiting patiently. When he's done they leisurely continue walking. There's a gas station with a bathroom a block away.

Anyone else seeing signs of change like this.

Well Zero Poverty in not realistic! What should be a realistic Goal...? 10 %

Well Zero Poverty in not realistic! What should be a realistic Goal...? 10 %

It depends on how you define poverty. Some organizations define it based it on the median wage. Here in hard knocks world we generally define it as having food to eat and water to drink, so less than 10% is quite feasible with our (low) standards.

Has anyone else recently noticed early signs of declining quality of life in BsAs?

La Plata has always attracted immigrants who come to take advantage of our schools. By far the majority find jobs and blend in. The police and citizen patrols quickly resolved any issues. Until now. Two (apparent) immigrants have set up camps in the greenspace along our busiest street. About a kilometer apart they've spread out their belongings and spend their days lounging in their sleeping bags or drinking nearby. They've been there for at least 2 months. Looks like I'm going to have to make a complaint.

Today I was walking along the same busy street, a young man and woman ahead of me. They stop, the man turns and begins urinating on a house. He takes his time, the woman waiting patiently. When he's done they leisurely continue walking. There's a gas station with a bathroom a block away.

Sure, to see poor people destroys our life quality:
However, the poors factory was Macri. ;)

I found your post a little nieve about life in big cities Have you ever been to the inner city of Sydney . Seattle, San Francisco or Los Angeles and seen the human mass of people pissing and defecating on the streets there . This is a serious problem in first world cities and the city governments of these cities are enabling this to happen with turning a blind eye to those hideous tent cities in seattle and Los Angeles .

Buenos Aires up to now living in a nice area like Palermo or Recoleta you are very rarely affected by this human blight that is destroying the way of life in even nice neighbourhoods of these first world cities . Drug addiction and the enabling and acceptance of this by governments will cause that these cities in 20 years will be no go zones .

I found your post a little nieve about life in big cities Have you ever been to the inner city of Sydney . Seattle, San Francisco or Los Angeles and seen the human mass of people pissing and defecating on the streets there . This is a serious problem in first world cities and the city governments of these cities are enabling this to happen with turning a blind eye to those hideous tent cities in seattle and Los Angeles .

Buenos Aires up to now living in a nice area like Palermo or Recoleta you are very rarely affected by this human blight that is destroying the way of life in even nice neighbourhoods of these first world cities . Drug addiction and the enabling and acceptance of this by governments will cause that these cities in 20 years will be no go zones .

I completely agree with you Perry (except for the 'nieve' part, I think I'm aware of what's going on in those large cities).

Two issues are being conflated. First, it's not a problem of homeless immigrants. There are maybe 15 million illegal immigrants in the US. Almost none of them are living on the streets. Somehow they've found rooms and jobs and blended into American society. So its ridiculous to hear Gavin Newsome (governor of California) saying that the homeless problem is caused by lack of housing for immigrants.

The people living on the streets are almost all drug addicts or people with mental problems. About 40 years ago the courts decided that they could not be treated or hospitalized against their will, so they were released into the streets.

In the last few years local governments have decided that these poor people have the right to pitch tents in front of a business and crap in the doorways, but the residents and business do not have any rights to governement protection.

The resulting chaos and disruption of civic life is, as you say, only the beginning. San Francisco, Los Angeles have discarded the public sanitation lessons of the last couple of centuries. Already Los Angeles has typhus and there are outbreaks of hepatitis A, tuberculosis, and staph in L.A. and other West Coast cities. Inevitbably there will be an large outbreak of something nasty and we'll see the mayors and governors on tv showing how they are dealing with the crisis that they caused.

However my original post was about the homeless problem spreading from major cities to towns like La Plata. Its not a major city and we have a strong history of concern for public health and safety. We've always had alot of immigrants moving here for our schools and hospitals but it's been well managed. Until now.

I completely agree with you Perry (except for the 'nieve' part, I think I'm aware of what's going on in those large cities).

Two issues are being conflated. First, it's not a problem of homeless immigrants. There are maybe 15 million illegal immigrants in the US. Almost none of them are living on the streets. Somehow they've found rooms and jobs and blended into American society. So its ridiculous to hear Gavin Newsome (governor of California) saying that the homeless problem is caused by lack of housing for immigrants.

The people living on the streets are almost all drug addicts or people with mental problems. About 40 years ago the courts decided that they could not be treated or hospitalized against their will, so they were released into the streets.

In the last few years local governments have decided that these poor people have the right to pitch tents in front of a business and crap in the doorways, but the residents and business do not have any rights to governement protection.

The resulting chaos and disruption of civic life is, as you say, only the beginning. San Francisco, Los Angeles have discarded the public sanitation lessons of the last couple of centuries. Already Los Angeles has typhus and there are outbreaks of hepatitis A, tuberculosis, and staph in L.A. and other West Coast cities. Inevitbably there will be an large outbreak of something nasty and we'll see the mayors and governors on tv showing how they are dealing with the crisis that they caused.

However my original post was about the homeless problem spreading from major cities to towns like La Plata. Its not a major city and we have a strong history of concern for public health and safety. We've always had alot of immigrants moving here for our schools and hospitals but it's been well managed. Until now.
It is happening in a similar way in other coutnries though (I mean, the spread of homelessness to smaller cities). Cardiff in the UK is a good example. It is a city with a population of around 300,000 (La Plata is at least double) and you could walk across the city center within around 15 minutes. The city center is full of homeless people, who like in the U.S. cities have been given free reign to pitch tents, camp, hang out in front of businessess etc. It's like running a gauntlet of people asking for change.

Perhaps it is now only happening in Argentina, but it is very much the world's problem.

Back