Question about a bank transfer to a closed account...

steveinbsas

Registered
I recently made purchase on mercado libre and paid the seller in advance for the cost of shipping ($200 pesos). When he took the package to the sucursal of the micro they told him the shipping could only be paid at the destination.

I paid the $200 pesos when I picked up the package on Monday, know this in advance as the seller sent me a message saying he would deposit or transfer the $200 pesos into my Santander Rio account after the item arrived. He made the transfer using an ATM this morning and send me a jpeg of the receipt show the CBU I gave him on Tuesday.

The problem is that I gave him the CBU for a Santander Rio account I closed several years ago. I tried to call Santander Rio's customer service but could not get through. Just wondering if anyone knows what might happen to the $200 pesos and/or how to make a reclamo if necessary and who must do it. It would be helpful to know if CBU's are ever recycled to newer accounts.

These days $200 pesos isn't much, but it would buy a 500 gram loaf of bread and 30 large brown eggs...

As I understand it, standard operating procedure when a payment comes in to a non-existent account it is diverted into the receiving bank's suspense account pending investigation. Within a few hours/days someone at the receiving bank will try and reconcile the payment where that might be possible. If it is not possible the money should be returned to the issuing bank with an appropriate comment. If this were England I would be advising you to contact the seller to let them know the money is back with them but I have no idea of the time frame used by banks in Argentina so it might or might not have reached them by now. Sorry I don't know any more.

PS Eggs sound delicious but why not buy three bags of precio cuidado OO flour and a box of six sachets of yeast with your $100 and make six 800gm loaves for your money?

Last edited:
There are about 5000 employees in each branch whose job is to furiously reject and return any erroneous CBU.
That 200 pesos will be returned back to its origin.

P.S. 6*800gm loaves make me laugh, but Custard or Flan yum.

There are about 5000 employees in each branch whose job is to furiously reject and return any erroneous CBU.
That 200 pesos will be returned back to its origin.

P.S. 6*800gm loaves make me laugh, but Custard or Flan yum.
You don't have to make the loaves all at once!

Reactions: B52
Unfortunately by the time you get that 200 pesos back it will only buy 200 grams of bread or 10 eggs.

Back