Question about Apr 30 & May 1 striking...

kmol

Registered
I've read thru the answers in the other strike-related thread:
https://baexpats.org/threads/international-flights-on-may-1st.41115

...and I had a follow-up question: based on past negotiating/striking practices, is it likely that this is a 2-day strike (Apr 30 & May 1) and then back to work / negotiations, followed by additional striking if an acceptable deal is not reached? OR will the strike extend for additional days until there is an acceptable deal, without a few days of flights/inter-city buses service.

My particulars: I'm in Salta, attempting to return on Buenos Aires. Andes rebooked my flight from today to Friday May 3rd, but also considering an overnight bus from Salta to Buenos Aires.

Wondering if rebooked flight will likely/possibly be pushed further into the future?
Wondering if the inter-city bus service will strike beyond May 1st?

Of course, I know that all is uncertain at the moment, but wondering how historically Argentine strikes work in practice...solid striking period until deal is reached, or intermittent striking until deal is reached.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

its not really a "strike until agreement is reached" kind of strike

these things are just a "show of force and protest" kind of strike. most of them usually are just that. your rebooked flight will be fine. most will be back to normal thursday as if it never happened.

I recognize that these strikes aren't about a particular labor contract, but rather a wider protest against the government's economic policies.

Thanks for your reply, sts. (I think we posted at the same time.)

Do you have an opinion on whether a "show of force and protest" likely is be extended, or intermittent?

Personally, just trying to make my way back to Buenos Aires, but am definitely sympathetic to the tight fiscal position that the country is in (not helped by organizations like the IMF requiring the country to meet such aggressive targets within a year's time).

i rarely if ever have seen these things extended. they happen on that day they are scheduled then it's all over and back to normal.

Funny. I am trying to get to Salta. Was going to leave the states yesterday but with the paro I pushed it by a day. Now I am hearing it is on 1 May also. When I get there tomorrow I guess I'll see. For now AEP-SLA flight on LAN is showing as "on," although they may cancel. All flights for today are listed as cancelled.

In my experience, better to just rebook a new ticket as soon as possible. I recently finished a 6+ month struggle with LAN to get a refund from a cancelled flight when they promised a refund would be forthcoming the day after cancellation. YMMV but I have not had good luck.

In the end, it was cheaper for the extra hotel nights in Salta than any of the bus tickets we could find. Rebooking with Andes was remarkably easy (getting a refund, no).

Good luck getting here, Frinkiac8.

Back