Question For Vegans: Protein Sources?

HelaineT

Registered
After 2 months in BA, I'm ready to do a week of detox. (I've been getting organic produce some weeks delivered to my home by El Rincon Organico, which has been a big help.) The cleanse programs I usually follow, designed by my favorite nutritionist, rely on hemp seeds and organic sprouted rice protein powder (Sun Warrior) for protein. I was informed by El Rincon Organico that "there are no hemp products in Argentina".

Following a paleo-type diet, I'm off grains and legumes, including soy. But I need lots of protein to feel energetic and keep my muscles from shrinking.

Any recommendations for protein alternatives to animal products or soy?

Try eating nuts and seeds - sesame, sunflower, and believe it or not potatoes are a good source of vegetable protein also. I follow a semi-paleo diet, almost no flour or wheat products, I totally avoid processed foods, but the one thing I haven't given up are garbanzos and black beans. I love them too much especially in hummus and black bean soup.

Mushrooms have a very large amount of protein in them, and, unlike legumes, you do not have to eat them with combinations of other foods to get the protein. I think about a 1/4 cup of cooked mushrooms has 6 or 7 grams of protein, about what an ounce of chicken has. So a cup of mushrooms would do the trick and would have about the same amount of protein as a very small chicken breast.

Try eating nuts and seeds - sesame, sunflower, and believe it or not potatoes are a good source of vegetable protein also. I follow a semi-paleo diet, almost no flour or wheat products, I totally avoid processed foods, but the one thing I haven't given up are garbanzos and black beans. I love them too much especially in hummus and black bean soup.

Thanks, Davidglen77. Nuts and seeds will work in my case, but not potatoes. Would really love to find macademias, too - so high in Omega 3's and virtually no Omega 6's! Found them once in Coto. (I miss hummus, btw - used to eat great amounts of it, just for pleasure with raw vegetables and half a glass of wine :), and am looking for a paleo-friendly alternative.)

Lentils with rice and corn with chile picante.....!!

http://healthyeating...acids-1195.html

Grains, such as rice, oats, wheat, rye and corn, can act as complementary proteins for legumes such as lentils. They contain the cysteine and methionine that lentils lack, and lentils provide the lysine that grains do not contain enough of.

Rich one, everything you say is accurate, according what I read years ago in "Diet for a Small Planet", which I followed that for quite a while. But every item on your list is completely out of my life now, because I've chosen to follow a Primal/paleo lifestyle and I feel better now than I did for decades on a high whole-carb, low fat, vegetarian diet. (I was healthy, but now even more so.) If anyone's interested in why this plan excludes grains and legumes, there are many excellent articles here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Back