Question to US expats

billsfan

Registered
Hey peepz :)
I'm traveling to the US (upstate NY) in a couple of weeks (work related) and I was wondering what ELSE could I bring with me as a present for some of my bosses and coworkers over there.
The Malbec/Merlot/whatever theme is waaay clichè, but I cannot think of anything besides that.

Is there anything else that you (americans) would like to get in the US that is both representative (from us argentinians) and perhaps not so easy to find/cheap there?

(Please don't say leather jackets or boots, thank you) :p

I think some really nice delcuhe de leche from havana and some alfajores too would be awesome!

Alfajores Havanna make great gifts, but in my experience Americans find dulce de leche too sweet.

I did an Argentine gift basket for a charity auction and put the following in it: Malbec, Torrontes, a mate set (bombilla, yerba, mate gourd, etc), alfajores, havannets, alpargatas (people love them), dulce de leche, honey from Patagonia, handwoven belt/sash that the gauchos use (can be worn or used as decoration), a futbol jersey from Arg, leather picture frame, keychain of leather/silver, etc.

If you are bringing wine I would suggest you take Torrontes instead of Malbec. There is a flood of Malbec in the US but not so much Torrontes.

Other than that a box of Alfajores is a nice and simple.

If you decide to stick with wine, you can go to Nigel at 0800-vino (google him) and he'll provide you with affordable wines that CAN'T be bought in the states so are special.

As for Dulce, it's true, many Americans find it cloyingly sweet, I among them, but in alfahores from havana it's not so bad and they come in nice boxes.
I find mate bitter and flavorless and the process for drinking it is more trouble than it's worth when 100 tea bags is a dollar, but it's a fun set up if you're into that kind of thing. If you do mate consider a story about drinking mate the traditional way. In general, as a social construct, Americans are never really going to go in for anything that requires sharing a straw. Of course, we share bongs...

Thanks everybody for the tips. Here are my thoughts:

- Alfajores, dulce de leche and related: I'm landing in most likely hot hot conditions. This stuff could survive the weather, but still, it seems to me more like for winter conditions, right?

- Mate: I'm argentinian and rarely drink mate myself (I am barely a "social" mate drinker), so how can I explain to someone about a process that I don't even know that much. I mean, I like mate as the excuse to be with friends, playing "truco" or talking about women, but it's not like I'm an expert on tastes or anything.

- I think I will go with the Torrontes or other rare wine "cepas". I may also call that 0800 dude.

- Alpargatas?: Citygirl, we've talked in the past and I know you are from the area, but really? :p If I buy alpargatas to my father or my cousin or a friend, they would probably mumble "ah gracias" and throw them away. What's so charming about it?

- Argie football jersey: I like the idea, although they are probably more expensive here than there :p

- Leather things: Also possible, I accept the suggestions.

If you are landing in hot weather get plain Havanna alfajores, not the chocolate-covered ones. The white ones do all right in all kinds of weather - can even take DC's summer temperatures.

1) Hoof-and-mouth disease
2) Peronism
3) Kristina Fernandez (no returns, please)

A slice of Fugazetta from La Mezzetta.

Thats what I want from Argentina when I am in the States...

While you are at it, bring me some Terma Patagonia.

But I bring back all kinds of things that are Industria Argentina, that americans find entertaining.

Fernet, Hesperidina, Mate, and Chimichurri all have been popular with my friends- although they require explanation, and, usually, preparation on my part.
Everybody seems to like a Hesperidina with tonic water, a slice of lime, and some crushed fresh mint leaves.

I buy the little metal tins of chocolate from Casa De Chocolat on Corrientes- its not the best chocolate in the world, but its very typical, and the presentation, in the old stamped metal tins, is such a novelty to americans that they love it. Plus, it all always gets eaten- its not THAT bad.

My Futbol playing kid loves argentine jerseys, and the variety of them available in BA is far beyond the simple national team jersey that is all you can usually find in the US.

Pinguinos are another thing that are so totally argentine that they are fun to bring- Calma Chica, in Palermo, has the modern, minimalist white ones, very trendy.

CD's of contemporary argentine music are very popular with my friends- particularly all the new postmodern tango stuff like Bajofondo, Tanghetto, Tango Crash, and Gotan Project. Tonolec, Juana Molina, Gaby Kerpel, and Axel Krygier seem to go over big as well. Rock Nacional, not so much- too time and place specific, and too dependent on actually understanding the lyrics. Since Juana isnt really saying words anyway half the time, they translate better.

Carpincho house slippers are nice. comfy, soft, and not fitted to a specific slze.

Books about BsAs, particularly photo books, are popular as well- the Art Noveau book always wows people, as well as some of the books of historical photos that are available. Everyone outside of Argentina thinks Buenos Aires looks like Olde Mexico, and are amazed seeing things like Palacio Barolo.

Since I am a textile person, I always buy yarn anyway- but argentine yarns are high quality, cheap, and desirable to any knitter or crocheter. Many of my friends covet the stuff we bring back from Scalabrini Ortiz y Cordoba.
A lot of sweaters and scarves around here are the result.

Back