Questions About Changing To A Pensionado Visa

Stantucker

Registered
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]My wife and I are changing from a rentista visa to a pensionado visa. She has just turned 62 and will begin to receive SS benefits the first of August. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]1) The translator I am using and the Informes desk of mirgaciones seem to think I will need more than just the apostilled marriage license I have from the States ( translated) to prove that we are married. They mentioned an "acta." We used an apostilled copy of our marriage license at the consul in the States last year when we were getting our rentista visa and that worked there. Won't that work here?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]2) She will receive only $1500 per month. Do we have to proof additional income/funds beyond that?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]3) Do our passports have to be translated? [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]4) How many days before our current rentista visa expires will they accept our papers for the pensionado visa? I ask because they told us you cannot have two types of visas at the same time? Also will they give us a temporary DNI before we get our new DNI with the pensionado visa? [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]5) What happens if you are out of the country when your new DNI arrives and you cannot sign for it? [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]3) Are there documents we will need to present other than copies of our passports and DNI, the letter from the SS office in the embassy here and our marriage license (since I am not yet getting SS or a pension)?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Thanks for much for any help you can provide.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Stan Tucker [/background]

1). There is no government agency in the USA that I know of that provides an official statement regarding your civil status, so the "acts" they are asking for to "prove " you are married does not exist.

2). You will need to prove a monthly income of $30,000 pesos. At the money $1500 USD per month does not quite meet that threshold.

3). Your passports will not have to be translated if they contain the Spanish translation for your date and place of birth, etc.

4) You can apply fore a renewal no more than 60 days before temporary residency expires, so I am guessing it's the same for the cambio de categoria. You'll only know for sure when you actually ask for the cambio. Your DNI number should remain the same.

5). I was not at home when my DNI arrived by mail but I was able to go to the post office to get it before it was returned to the registro. If you are out of the country when it arrives I believe it will be returned to the registro .

6 (3).You will have to provide proof of the additional income to meet the $30,000 pesos per month threshold. Also, be sure to have the social security letter "legalized" at the appropriate office in BA (on Aranales in Retiro). It will not need to be translated as it will be written in Spanish.

I hope other members can add to or clarify anything I have posted here.

This is the text from the migraciones site regarding documents for pensionados:

REQUISITOS PENSIONADO

DOCUMENTACION A PRESENTAR:

- IDENTIDAD: Cédula de Identidad, Pasaporte o Certificado de Nacionalidad con foto, originales. Estos documentos deberán encontrarse vigentes y en buen estado de conservación. - PASSPORT IN GOOD CONDITION AND VALID

- CERTIFICADO DE ANTECEDENTES PENALES ARGENTINOS Emitido por Registro Nacional de Reincidencia o Policía Federal. Solo exigible a mayores de 16 años. - POLICE BACKGROUND CHECK IN ARGENTINA

- CERTIFICADO QUE ACREDITE FEHACIENTEMENTE QUE NO REGISTRA CONDENAS ANTERIORES NI PROCESOS PENALES EN TRÁMITE emitidos por las autoridades competentes de los países donde haya residido por un plazo superior a UN (1) año, durante el transcurso de los últimos TRES (3) años. Solo exigible a mayores de 16 (dieciséis) años. -- FBI NO RECORDS ON FILE REPORT WITH APOSTILLE BY DEPARTMENT OF STATE, TRANSLATED AND LEGALIZED IN BUENOS AIRES

- DECLARACION JURADA de carencia de antecedentes penales en otros países, (será confeccionada en migraciones al momento de la solicitud de residencia). SWORN STATEMENT THAT YOU HAVE NO RECORD IN ANY OTHER COUNTRIES

- INGRESO. Sello de ingreso al país estampado en el documento de viaje o en la tarjeta migratoria.

- CERTIFICADO DE DOMICILIO O UNA FACTURA DE ALGUN SERVICIO PUBLICO A SU NOMBRE (ABL, luz, agua o gas) EITHER A CERTIFICADO DE DOMICILIO FROM THE LOCAL POLICE STATION WHERE YOU LIVE OR A UTILITY BILL IN YOUR NAME THAT PROVES WHERE YOU LIVE

- UNA FOTO 4x4 COLOR (Deberá ser actual, tomada de frente, medio busto, con la cabeza totalmente descubierta, color, con fondo uniforme blanco y liso, permitiendo apreciar fielmente y en toda su plenitud los rasgos faciales de su titular al momento de realizar el trámite). PHOTO ACCORDING TO THESE STANDARDS FOR YOUR DNI

- TASA DE RADICACIÓN:
$2000 + $60 DNI -- THE FEES YOU PAY IN PESOS

- Constancia expedida por un gobierno u organismo internacional que certifique que usted recibe una pensión o jubilación, en forma regular y permanente, como así también el monto y duración de dicho beneficio. CERTIFIED LETTER STATING THAT YOU RECEIVE A GOVERNMENT PENSION OR RETIREMENT, THE AMOUNT AND FOR HOW LONG THE BENEFIT CONTINUES.

A fin de acreditar los extremos deberá presentar documentación que avale el carácter de pensionado. LETTER STATING THE CHARACTER OF THE PERSON REQUESTING PENSIONISTA STATUS.

LA RESIDENCIA A OTORGAR SERÁ TEMPORARIA

IMPORTANTE:
• Toda documentación expedida en el extranjero deberá contar con la legalización del Consulado Argentino, sito en el país emisor del documento Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores Comercio Internacional y Culto, o Apostillada, si el país hubiera ratificado el Convenio de La Haya. -- ALL THE DOCUMENTATION PROVIDED MUST HAVE THE APPROPRIATE APOSTILLE, TRANSLATED BY A PUBLIC TRANSLATOR IN ARGENTINA, AND LEGALIZED.

• Sin perjuicio de lo dispuesto en los acuerdos o convenciones internacionales vigentes, toda documentación expedida por las representaciones consulares en el territorio nacional, deberá contar con la legalización del Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores Comercio Internacional y Culto, excepto MERCOSUR.

• Toda documentación expedida en idioma extranjero deberá contar con la traducción al castellano efectuada por Traductor Público Nacional (Art. 6º Ley 20.305) y legalizada por el Colegio de Traductores. TRANSLATION BY PUBLIC TRANSLATOR TO CASTELLANO AND THEN LEGALIZED BY THE COLLEGE OF TRANSLATORS (OFFICE ON CORRIENTES NEAR CALLAO)

• La documentación a presentar deberá ser original. La Dirección Nacional de Migraciones podrá solicitar, si así lo considerase necesario, documentación adicional a la detallada ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE ORIGINALS. THEY CAN ASK FOR ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION IF CONSIDERED NECESSARY.

As you are asking for a cambio de categoria you will have to provide the same documents that you would for a renewal, including proof of income that meets the monthly requirement.

In addition to the documents that i mentioned in my previous post you will also need a new CERTIFICADO DE ANTECEDENTES PENALES ARGENTINO, but you shouldn't need a new FBI report.

You will need photocopies of all pages of your passports (including blank pages) and photocopies of both sides of your DNIs.

I don't think you will need a certificado de domicilio (unless they are now required for renewals), but if you have gas, electricity or water in your name I suggest you include an original bill and a photocopy of at least one of them.

I don't know if you will new 4 x 4 photos for the DNIs. When I got my new DNI two years ago everything was done by computer and the photo was taken at the registro when I applied for the new tarjeta.

I also don't know if you need a letter of good character. This was never a requirement when I received or renewed my temporary residency or made the cambio to permanent residency. If it is not presently required for renewals, I doubt that you will need one, but I can't say for certain.

Steve,

Thanks for your very thorough, question-by-question responses. I really appreciate your help. I did not know that I would have to get the letter from the SS office here "legalized." In Janis' post below yours is listed where you have to do that.

Your responses have triggered a couple of other questions:

1) In one of my many visits to Migraciones, I was told by a supervisor there, that the advantage to having the pensionado visa, as opposed to the rentista visa we have now, is that with the pensionado visa you do not have to transfer any specified amount of money into the country, as long as your SS (or like benefit) is being sent here. What I am wondering is even if that is the case, do we still have to prove that we have sufficient money in accounts in the US to cover the remainder of what we will need to live on here, i.e. to make up the gap between the 1500 dollars in SS benefits my wife will receive and the 30,000 pesos a month required for other visas? Any thoughts on that?

2) Also, if you are out of the country for an extended period of time and your new DNI gets returned to the registro, what happens then? Does it just remain there until you go to get it?

Thanks so much for your help!

Stan

Steve,

Looks like our posts crossed. Thanks again for all your help.

When I went to migraciones just this past week, I was told that to get a turno I would need to go to "Radicacion" (and the young women helping me showed me just that, I think, on her computer). If I did see what she was doing on her computer correctly, does that mean we are starting over basically in terms of documentation? I know your last post indicated that we wouldn't be starting over and wouldn't need all the documents. I thought "cambio de categoria" was when you were going from a visa temporaria to citizenship, not just from one type of visa temporaria to another.

Stan

Janis,

I really appreciate your posting of the pensionado requirements from the Migraciones website and your taking the time to translate what the Spanish is saying. While I had looked at then before, your posting of then got me looking at them again and gave me the name of the agency that has to legalize the letter from the SS office of the US embassy here. Thank you!

My question, now, as I asked Steve, is if we are starting over in terms of our status and therefore the documents required of just basically renewing, given that we already have rentista visas.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Stan

Steve,

Looks like our posts crossed. Thanks again for all your help.

When I went to migraciones just this past week, I was told that to get a turno I would need to go to "Radicacion" (and the young women helping me showed me just that, I think, on her computer). If I did see what she was doing on her computer correctly, does that mean we are starting over basically in terms of documentation? I know your last post indicated that we wouldn't be starting over and wouldn't need all the documents. I thought "cambio de categoria" was when you were going from a visa temporaria to citizenship, not just from one type of visa temporaria to another.

Stan

Stan,

I was just about to ask if the cambio de categoria applied to a change in the type of visa, from rentista to pensionado as in your case, or only to a change in the category of residency (as in my case from temporary to permanent). I cannot say for certain if you staring over. If migraciones says so, then you are.

If you have spent less than a total of one year during the past years in the USA you should.t need a new FBI report, but only migraciones can tell you that for sure.

While I am certain that the canbio de categoria appies to the change from temporary residiency to permanent residency, it may not apply to citizenship. Migraciones has nothing to do with the citizenship process and as soon as you are granted citizenship a visa granting temporary residency is no longer required and permanent residency is irrelevant. If going to migraciones is required after being granted citizenship I hope someone will post about it here.

Steve,

Thanks for your very thorough, question-by-question responses. I really appreciate your help. I did not know that I would have to get the letter from the SS office here "legalized." In Janis' post below yours is listed where you have to do that.

Your responses have triggered a couple of other questions:

1) In one of my many visits to Migraciones, I was told by a supervisor there, that the advantage to having the pensionado visa, as opposed to the rentista visa we have now, is that with the pensionado visa you do not have to transfer any specified amount of money into the country, as long as your SS (or like benefit) is being sent here. What I am wondering is even if that is the case, do we still have to prove that we have sufficient money in accounts in the US to cover the remainder of what we will need to live on here, i.e. to make up the gap between the 1500 dollars in SS benefits my wife will receive and the 30,000 pesos a month required for other visas? Any thoughts on that?

2) Also, if you are out of the country for an extended period of time and your new DNI gets returned to the registro, what happens then? Does it just remain there until you go to get it?

Thanks so much for your help!

Stan

Stan;

In answer to question one: Things have changed since i got my temporary residency but even then, an exact amount of monthly income for the visa pensionado was not specified.

It may indeed be the case that the $1500 your wife receives in Social Security benefits will suffice if the benefits are being are being forwarded to a bank in Argentina. If you were told this at migraciones it's probably true.

Even if you are "starting over" you really won't have to do much more than you would for a renewal, especially if you don't need a new FBI report (as I mentioned in my previous post).

Thanks so much, Steve.

I think I will go back to Migraciones on Monday and see if I need to make an appointment for "Radicacion" or "Cambio de categoria," and ask if we are, in fact, starting over. The thing is there is not a web page that I know of that explains how to go from one type of visa temporaria to another, and sometimes in the "Informes" desk they give you incorrect information. A number of months ago when I went to just get information, they told me that both of us would not be able to get pensionado visas, if only my wife qualified, which, I found our later from a supervisor, is not the case. The problem is that they don't always think to tell you everything you need or need to do, and until you get into the process, the correct questions do not always occur to you.

You guys help so much in that you raise questions and issues I hadn't thought of or give information that I didn't know or have.

Thanks again for all the help!

Stan

Back