Questions about moving from Boston to Buenos Aires

cameronius

Registered
I'm a twenty-six year old male who is looking to move to Buenos Aires early '09 with my girlfriend (who is also American). I may have the opportunity to do work for my previous employer while in South America, so I'd like to jump on that possibility. My question is: how expensive is living in Buenos Aires now with the USD tanking and the international economy looking grim? I would likely be salaried and paid USD, making a decent living by American standards while in Buenos Aires. Is this is a bad time to consider moving? I see a lot of posts about the cost of living in the city, but I haven't seen much about how expensive I should expect my life to be based on the economy and exchange rate at the moment. The international economy could certainly change by early 2009, but I'd love to know what the situation is now cost-wise because I may get a wild hair to move mid-2008 instead.
If anyone can help, that would be awesome. I am really excited about getting out of the states (perhaps permanently) but don't want to pick a terrible time to pack up my life and live abroad. Cameron.

The US dollar is not tanking here. The government is mainaining a low peso in order to export. The problem is inflation. If you are paid in dollars at a rate that is acceptable in the US you will be in an ideal position. If your employer is sending you here you will have a sponsor for a work visa. If you do not have a job lined up you could find life here quite difficult.

That is great news, sergio. Thank you.
It's possible my employer wouldn't be sending here to do work as much as I'd be working remotely for my employer while in Buenos Aires. I don't know if there's a real difference in terms of a work visa. Is it necessary to obtain a work visa to do remote work or would that just be an easier way to obtain one, having an American employer while I'm in Buenos Aires?

I don't know what the current inflation rate here in Argentina is, but the dollar is sure tanking fast. I think inflation and tanking for the dollar is connected.

5 year chart of dollar vs euro
http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/5y?usdeur=x

Better to get paid in all other currencies than dollar. maybe not Zimbabwe dollar :D lol

-s-

"Smartypants" said:
I don't know what the current inflation rate here in Argentina is, but the dollar is sure tanking fast. I think inflation and tanking for the dollar is connected.
Inflation in the USA and weakness of the dollar vis-a-vis other currencies are related (and by implication so is inflation and the weakness of the Argentinian peso). But to be honest, even strong currencies like the euro are buying less in real terms. The new hard currencies are gold, silver, platinum, crude oil, wheat (which has quadrupled in price during the last two years): in short real assets (in contrast to financial assets like currencies, stocks, and bonds).

"bigbadwolf" said:
Inflation in the USA and weakness of the dollar vis-a-vis other currencies are related (and by implication so is inflation and the weakness of the Argentinian peso). But to be honest, even strong currencies like the euro are buying less in real terms. The new hard currencies are gold, silver, platinum, crude oil, wheat (which has quadrupled in price during the last two years): in short real assets (in contrast to financial assets like currencies, stocks, and bonds).

True. Depending on what's going to happen in the banking world, physical hard cash could be king. This site is nice to follow:http://bankimplode.com/ -s-

Back