Questions About Trip To Iguazu

CarolinaK

Registered
Hello :)

I have booked a trip to Iguazu in May and am now wondering if anyone who has already been there could answer me a few questions.
I am staying in a Hostel in Puerto Iguazu. I have read that there is public bus transport to the National Park. Is that true or are there special shuttle busses?
On my second day I want to go to see the Brasilian side. Now I know that there is an international bus. Do I have to book a ticket in advance or can I buy one right there? And does it take me directly to the National Park?

I hope someone can help me out, I'd just like to have these things clear before I go there

Hi I work in the travel industry and have been to Iguazu many times. Yes, there is a public bus from Puerto Iguazu to both the Brazilian and Argentine sides of the falls. The bs leaves from the main bus station and you can purchase tickets at the station.

Plan for 5-6 hours to visit the Argentine side of the falls.

Visiting the Brazilian side is a little trickier, as some busses do not stop at the border. I had this happen, we went straight through to Foz do Iguazu and I never got my Argentine exit stamp or Brazil entry stamp - big quilombo when returning later that day.

The bus goes from Puerto Iguazu to Foz do Iguazu, where you can catch a bus to the Brazil side of the falls. If you are familiar with the area, you can get off the bus at the main road junction (where the bus turns left to go to Foz), and flag down a bus going to the Falls. But for your first time visit, it's easier to go out of your way to Foz do Iguazu and catch a direct bus to the Falls. Last time I was there, I got off at the road junction when returning from the Brazil Falls, and could not flag a bus going back to Argentina. I ended up walking several kilometers back to Argentina (not recmmended).

Hope this helps.

Yes, this helps a lot, thank you :)

I will definitely ask for advide about which busses to take at the hostel I am staying at as well

The best advice for anyone headed to Iguazú is to visit Iberá instead.

The hostel will help you with everything once you arrive, don't worry. If you don't want to figure out the public bus they'll have a transfer service for a bit more $$. I stayed at the Hostel Inn (the one on the side of the road, not in the town) and for my day-trip to the Brazilian side I just paid for a package and they handled everything, it was pretty easy and not very expensive (maybe the equivalent of $12USD for the whole thing?) I'm not sure what nationality you are but Americans need pre-arranged visas to enter Brazil (sorry if you already knew that).

The best advice for anyone headed to Iguazú is to visit Iberá instead.

Ooooh my sweetie was just saying today how much he wanted to take me to the Iberá Wetlands; it looks amazing!! Do you have more info? Can you only get there by car? How far is the drive? Did you go and did you like it??

Ooooh my sweetie was just saying today how much he wanted to take me to the Iberá Wetlands; it looks amazing!! Do you have more info? Can you only get there by car? How far is the drive? Did you go and did you like it??

I've been to Iberá at least half a dozen times. You can read some of what I've written at http://southernconeguidebooks.blogspot.com/search/label/Esteros%20del%20Iber%C3%A1

The hostel will help you with everything once you arrive, don't worry. If you don't want to figure out the public bus they'll have a transfer service for a bit more $$. I stayed at the Hostel Inn (the one on the side of the road, not in the town) and for my day-trip to the Brazilian side I just paid for a package and they handled everything, it was pretty easy and not very expensive (maybe the equivalent of $12USD for the whole thing?) I'm not sure what nationality you are but Americans need pre-arranged visas to enter Brazil (sorry if you already knew that).

Thank you very much for this info, I will be staying at the Hostel Inn as well. So I will ask them about this package then. It sounds great. I am German so I can easily enter Brazil with my travel passport :)

Thank you very much for this info, I will be staying at the Hostel Inn as well. So I will ask them about this package then. It sounds great. I am German so I can easily enter Brazil with my travel passport :)

It will be easy for you to visit the National Parks.

You can do the Brazilian side in a day: during the morning I suggest you to take "Macuco" (a boat which rides the river upstream) and during the afternoon, you can do the Brazilian side in 2 hours.

The Argentinian side can take you two days: one morning to do the lower circuit. That same day you can take the train to the Devil's throat. To go back to the park's center, it's nice to do it in a boat (from the devil's throat to a certain train station and the to the park's center.

The next day you can do the upper circuit.

Have a nice trip

Back