Questions on FD-258 in preparation for antecedentes penales application

seniels

Registered
Hi All,

I'm from the US and came down here for grad school. My university unfortunately never told me about receiving the antecedentes penales prior to leaving the country so now I'm going through the process on my own. I know there have been previous discussions about the process of getting the antecedentes penales from the US while abroad and I'm grateful for the advice I've found thus far. This morning I went to the US embassy and received the FD-258 fingerprint card, I was told to go to the Registro Nacional de Reincidencia (Sector Orientacion) which I plan on doing tomorrow as it seems it operates on Wednesdays and Fridays. I just had a few questions on the card (as it's the only one I have and I don't want to mess up):

-When it says "residence of person fingerprinted" is it asking for my most recent US address or where I will be living while in Buenos Aires?
-What would I write for employer/address if I'm here for school?
-"Reason fingerprinted" - do I write US good conduct certificate?
-- It looks as though part of this has to be signed by the official taking the fingerprints, are the officials at the Registro Nacional aware of this process?
--What's the best way of mailing this document to the US: DHL/Fedex/UPS? I know it'll be expensive, but is there a ballpark amount I should be prepared to pay?

Please let me know if there's any advice you may have on this issue- I'd greatly appreciate it!

And here are answers to a few of your questions:

Q: What would I write for employer/address if I'm here for school?

A: The name and address of the school.

Q: "Reason fingerprinted" - do I write US good conduct certificate?

A: "Applying for student visa/temporary residency in Argentina."

Q: It looks as though part of this has to be signed by the official taking the fingerprints, are the officials at the Registro Nacional aware of this process?

A: If the official doesn't sign it, just ask him to do so. The word for signature in Spanish is firma (you probably already know that).

PS: Don't forget to ask to have your FBI report "certified/validated" (essentially the same thing as the Apostille) by the US State Department.

Also, unless things have changed, I don't think they send the reports out of the USA. If that's still the case you'll need to have it sent to a US address and then forwarded to you in Argentina.

Last edited:
Back