quinoa

amat

Registered
Does anyone know where to find pre-rinsed quinoa? I found the unrinsed kind in Jumbo but i never seem to manage to wash it properly and it's always quite bitter...

thanks!

I usually buy quinoa flakes ( that you do not need to rinse ) from a dietetica on Bulnes between Santa Fe and Beruti. That is great to add to soups and sauces.

Question.

I have heard Quinoa is super protein. What is the best way to prepare it ? Like Oatmeal or more like rice ?

I've never eaten it before but now that i'm in South America and there is an abundance of it, I would like to try it out.

Thanks in advance.

Actually, washing the quinoa is quite easy--just rinse in a fine sieve or colander for several minutes, or you can do several rinses in a pot (much like you would for rice) until the water rinses clean (interestingly, you can reserve the quinoa rinse water as a natural insecticide). I also read a trick to "toast" the quinoa in a pan afterwards and it lends a really nice, nutty flavor to the grains. Just toast it for ~15 minutes until it's a golden brown, and don't add any oils, etc. You can store it in a jar (I like old pickle jars since they're big). People say it will last a month, but I find that with an air-tight jar it lasts for 6. Personally I've never had an issue with lingering bitterness. And it prepares much like rice! There are a ton of recipes online. I really like www.recipezaar.com or www.foodgawker.com for ideas.
have fun!:p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Expat Life 3
C Food and Drink 4