Racist Argentine banned/deported from Mexico

Renzi

Registered
For those who man not know, in Mexico and just about elsewhere in Latin America, indio/a" is more or less the equivalent of the n-word. I know that Argentines living in other Latin American countries have a reputation (whether deserved or not) for elitism,* but I wasn't aware of overtly racist behavior like this and wonder how common it is. To be fair to #ladyargentina, I lived in that same neighborhood in Mexico City, and her attitude toward darker-skinned people is no different from that of many wealthier Mexicans.

* A Colombian friend of mine working as a Spanish tutor in the US had a student who was told by an Argentine person not to learn Spanish from a Colombian. This turned into a discussion on how it's happened before, etc., etc.

Yes, I saw that same article in Pagina12, and shared it with a student of mine. I don't know if the DF is different than than the north in that regard, but if she'd pulled that in Tijuana she'd likely have gotten a nice set of bruises for her trouble. Most Mexican women of my acquaintance would have slapped her silly for such behavior, probably while the neighbors cheered them on.

Yes, I saw that same article in Pagina12, and shared it with a student of mine. I don't know if the DF is different than than the north in that regard, but if she'd pulled that in Tijuana she'd likely have gotten a nice set of bruises for her trouble. Most Mexican women of my acquaintance would have slapped her silly for such behavior, probably while the neighbors cheered them on.

That's where I first read the story, but I know how some people here feel about Pag12. :)

DF (officially CDMX now) like anywhere varies by neighborhood. Condesa is its Palermo, which should tell you everything. Had she done that in Tepito, for instance, she would have been stabbed and left on a Santa Muerte shrine.

That's where I first read the story, but I know how some people here feel about Pag12. :)

DF (officially CDMX now) like anywhere varies by neighborhood. Condesa is its Palermo, which should tell you everything. Had she done that in Tepito, for instance, she would have been stabbed and left on a Santa Muerte shrine.

Pagina 12 has a reason to exist.. to give Che Guevara followers a place to regurgitate slogans form the 70's

Pagina 12 has a reason to exist.. to give Che Guevara followers a place to regurgitate slogans form the 70's

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

-- Nietzsche

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

-- Nietzsche

Will quote another Nietzsche phrase "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ( Thanks Google)

There were so many popups I couldn't read it. Were they actually deported?
A lot of Argentines seem to think racism is confined to the EEUU. Not so, I've heard countless comments like this in Argentina. They don't think twice about it.

Back