Random Encounters

Redpossum

Registered
Saturday was so bleeding hot and humid, it reminded me of summer in Kansas City. I saw a menu item, vegetales vaporisados, and I thought, oh yes, that's how I feel, vaporisado. My comment to the front desk staff was, "es como un baño turco", which seemed to provoke vast amusement.

About 10 that night, I went out for a walk, and it was still warm, but bearable. I wandered up Mayo toward the Plaza Mayo, and passed a sort of pedestrian mall on the left with artisans displaying their work, so I turned in to have a look. I eventually came upon a couple dancing the tango, with a boom box and a hat out for donations. Intrigued, I stopped to watch. Now, I've seen tango on video before, but seeing it in person was a horse of a different color. To say the least, I was amazed. So I watched for a while, and donated generously to the hat. Eventually, I wound up talking to them, and learned that their names were Roberto and Sylvia. They looked to be about mid-40's, and told me they'd been dancing together for roughly three years. Now, I'm still very new here, and I could be completely mistaken, (in which case I'm sure someone here will be kind enough to tell me so), but it seemed to me that perhaps this was a parable for Argentina. The incredible beauty of the tango, the undeniable romance of dancing under the stars on a warm evening, and before each dance, Sylvia carefully pointed out their route to her partner, in order to avoid the holes in the pavement.

Last night I went out for dinner, and by the carrefour there was an woman, obviously an india, blind in one eye, and with a baby at her breast, mumbling pathetic appeals for help to the passersby. I went about three steps past her, and my conscience skewered me so hard, I could not take another step. So I pulled out a 50-peso note, and went back to give it to her. Where was she from? What was her story? I have no idea, but she was as far down and out as I have ever been.

This morning, I walked the other way down Mayo, toward 9 de Julio. There was a big demonstration on the far side. As I was waiting for the light to cross, there was a series of loud bangs. I jumped a mile and the man next to me, in a nice suit, looked at me curiously. I asked him, "it's just firecrackers, right?". He didn't know the word in English, and I didn't know it in Spanish, so I asked him, "como una dynamita pequeñita, verdad? No hay peligro?" He agreed and then we walked off our separate ways. In a few seconds, he came after me and added in English, "this country is like a dynamita, and soon it will explode".

Well, in the city it snowed once in 2007, I don't think the X games broke out though.

It'll be cooler May through to August without ever freezing over. You do get a few "fresh" days with cold wind but anyone from the northern parts of the US & Canada should find it positively tropical in winter. Had a frozen week in NY this feb, reminded me what cold was.

So I pulled out a 50-peso note, and went back to give it to her. Where was she from? What was her story? I have no idea, but she was as far down and out as I have ever been.

Good for you. I can never get over the very possibility that these women are renting those kids for a day. I've been fortunate in my life but at one point I was 4 days from being on the street. I was offered but never accepted money. I only asked for an opportunity to work.

Everyone has their own story, though.

Good for you. I can never get over the very possibility that these women are renting those kids for a day. I've been fortunate in my life but at one point I was 4 days from being on the street. I was offered but never accepted money. I only asked for an opportunity to work.

Everyone has their own story, though.

Has your dire episode occurred there or elsewhere?

Redpossum is a candidate for a Pulitzer price for short candid stories.
However hot an humid,evening, thought it was a narration from Havana. .

> The incredible beauty of the tango, the undeniable romance of dancing under the stars on a warm evening, and before each dance, Sylvia carefully pointed out their route to her partner, in order to avoid the holes in the pavement.

You write really well Redpossum, your posts are a pleasure to read.

> The incredible beauty of the tango, the undeniable romance of dancing under the stars on a warm evening, and before each dance, Sylvia carefully pointed out their route to her partner, in order to avoid the holes in the pavement.

You write really well Redpossum, your posts are a pleasure to read.

However Macri will not approve of it: "holes in the pavement" obviously written by a Cristinista.

However Macri will not approve of it: "holes in the pavement" obviously written by a Cristinista.

Like Macri gives a shit about the state of the pavements.... like any politician here gives a shit about the state of the pavements.

Back