Re: Care Packages?

nikad

Registered
We receive care packages every month ( average weight is 15 pounds ) regular mail, never lost one. V

I was sent a package by DHL with a box of cookies in it. Customs wanted to change lots of money PLUS needed to find a Despacante to get it out of customs. Forget that, let them eat my cookies.

Hola.
I will be moving to Bs As. in June for about 6 months. I am on a number of medications and will need them to be sent from the U.S. Has anyone had any experience with meds being sent to Argentina? Any problem seen?
Carlos

Hi Group,Does anyone have any insight on how to bring a small T.V. through customs from an international flight without paying any duties? Whatever suggestions are appreciated!

"donquixote" said:
Hola.
I will be moving to Bs As. in June for about 6 months. I am on a number of medications and will need them to be sent from the U.S. Has anyone had any experience with meds being sent to Argentina? Any problem seen?
Carlos
I had my sister send me birth control via FedEx. She stuck it in a big NY Times Sunday newspaper and labeled it "papers" on the customs shipping form. It arrived fine. We did that because my friend had her mom send meds and labeled it meds and she had a whole bunch of problems.

"DougBA" said:
Hi Group,
Does anyone have any insight on how to bring a small T.V. through customs from an international flight without paying any duties? Whatever suggestions are appreciated!
If it is used and you are going from US to Argentina, no problem. I brought basically a whole pawn shop with me through customs and got the red light. I just smiled and had no problem with my Bose speakers, desktop computer, headphones, ipod, 2 cameras, video camera, etc. All were used though. Didn't list a thing on my forms.

Like others said, Fedex, DHL, TNT, and UPS are good and superfast for door to door but if customs smells something funny then it gets held in EZE no matter where you are in the country.
A friend of mine in Cordoba bought something for super cheap on EBAY and customs thought the product was worth a lot more than what was declared and said the only way to get it was to go to EZE.
Postal service takes longer but at least you can visit your LOCAL central post office that has customs no matter what the problem is. Stuff does disappear but if you have it insured and registered, it'll show up and it doesn't cost much to do that.

I wouldn't recommend declaring $10 shoebox-sized packages through fedex-type companies. Even if the items in the box are hardly worth $10, customs will get suspicious on why someone paid $100+ on shipping for something declared at a small fraction of the price. Doesn't mean there will be any problems but you may get called out to EZE.

I've been receiving mail via Correo Argentino for quite a few years. In general it has been slow but fairly reliable, though some letters have gone astray including a small check (sent to me) that was stolen and cashed in Chile (I was told at the Correo Central that it is illegal to mail checks in Argentina. The cost of sending letters FROM Argentina, incidentally, is very high - even in dollar terms.

This article describes an experiment where 3 major local mail carriers: Correo Argentino, OCA and Correo Andreani were evaluated. They sent simple letters from Cordoba to several destinations. Ironically all 3 letters sent to Buenos Aires were lost :).

Back