Re-entering as a tourist after Temporary Residence

dsp27

Registered
My temporary residence of one year expires in mid-December. Not sure if I care (or can for that matter) renew it. If I travel home for the holidays and and try to re-enter in January (for 90 days) would I have issues? Since I will entering under a different category my guess is 'no' (last time I was 'turista' was back in 2018), but wonder if my logic makes sense. I don't intent to do visa runs beyond those 90 days.

Also how viable is the "citizenship" path without a permanent DNI after having spent 2+ years in Argentina (I have spent 3-4 year here already; 2-3 as turista and 1 as temp resident) ? I have a DNI but only a temp one so the process would have to go before a federal judge and take (1 year?) a lot of time to get a decision. I read that NOW judges are unwilling to grant citizenships unless one is a permanent resident first. What's the latest you have heard?

Thanks!

I am also curious. I am here on a tourist Visa but for many years. Everyone is telling me is impossible for me to reach Citizenship without a temporary residency first but I have no other option as I'm not in school nor can I afford to go back, I don't work here (freelance for places abroad) and am not married to an Argentine. Does anyone know of any solid recent cases where someone without a DNI first got granted citizenship based solely on having been here more than two years as a tourist? Not sure the upcoming election will change it all again. Trying to figure out if I have any options to remain realistically. I emailed a few lawyers I found on other forums but nobody returned my messages. All of my friends say that in the constitution it's written I'm able but I know here I've seen people mention many recent laws that seem to make that nearly impossible in my case. Thanks for any help.

My temporary residence of one year expires in mid-December. Not sure if I care (or can for that matter) renew it. If I travel home for the holidays and and try to re-enter in January (for 90 days) would I have issues? Since I will entering under a different category my guess is 'no' (last time I was 'turista' was back in 2018), but wonder if my logic makes sense. I don't intent to do visa runs beyond those 90 days.

Also how viable is the "citizenship" path without a permanent DNI after having spent 2+ years in Argentina (I have spent 3-4 year here already; 2-3 as turista and 1 as temp resident) ? I have a DNI but only a temp one so the process would have to go before a federal judge and take (1 year?) a lot of time to get a decision. I read that NOW judges are unwilling to grant citizenships unless one is a permanent resident first. What's the latest you have heard?

Thanks!

DNI expired every 10 years more or less. What is going to be expired is the “working permit”.

Citizenship is possible but not for amateurs nowadays.

The best to re enter is to do it from Uruguay.

I am also curious. I am here on a tourist Visa but for many years. Everyone is telling me is impossible for me to reach Citizenship without a temporary residency first but I have no other option as I'm not in school nor can I afford to go back, I don't work here (freelance for places abroad) and am not married to an Argentine. Does anyone know of any solid recent cases where someone without a DNI first got granted citizenship based solely on having been here more than two years as a tourist? Not sure the upcoming election will change it all again. Trying to figure out if I have any options to remain realistically. I emailed a few lawyers I found on other forums but nobody returned my messages. All of my friends say that in the constitution it's written I'm able but I know here I've seen people mention many recent laws that seem to make that nearly impossible in my case. Thanks for any help.
I won recently citizenship cases without legal residency. It is possible but it is not for amateurs nowadays.

The best to re enter is to do it from Uruguay.

Thanks Bajo. I plan to travel to Europe for a few weeks not Uruguay. Legally, is there a problem if I leave when/before my residency expires and come back in 3-4 weeks re-entering as a tourist for 90 days? I am aware that the emigration officer technically has the right to refuse entry in ANY situation BUT in practice as long as one avoids a situation/scenario that has been established as "a red flag" it should be okay. I guess the real question is, can one re-enter under different category short after temp residency has expired?

DNI expired every 10 years more or less. What is going to be expired is the “working permit”.
Citizenship is possible but not for amateurs nowadays.

Can I be abroad for a couple of months as the citizenship process is with Tribunales or do I need to stay in Argentina even as a turisa until the court comes up with a decision?

Cheers!

Last edited:

I believe the OP’s DNI Temporario Extranjero will be expiring; this one expires every year until applying for and being approved for Permanent Residency which then expires after 15 years.

I believe the OP’s DNI Temporario Extranjero will be expiring; this one expires every year until applying for and being approved for Permanent Residency which then expires after 15 years.
correcto

No. Legal residency and DNI are two different things.

Back