Re: Expats And Politics - Expressing Opinions Publicly

Noruega

Registered
I hope it is OK that I am opening a new thread, because my question is a little different: the other thread was about whether expats should feel free to openly criticize the politics of their new country, while my question is the following: Do you feel comfortable expressing opinions under your full name on public social media?

Twitter is my preferred social media platform, and I tweet using my full name and real photo. I follow Norwegian politics closely and tweet about that, and participate in discussions with other Norwegians. I also tweet about Argentina in Norwegian. In addition, I tweet in Spanish about Argentina, lately a lot about politics, most (all, really) of it very critical of the current government and the way the whole Nisman situation has been handled. But it just struck me: is that bad? Not from the ethical perspective (which the previous thread discussed) but from a selfish perspective: could this possibly hurt my residency process, for instance? I got my precaria in December through work and am waiting for DNI. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I really don't want any trouble, or have my residency not approved... Any thoughts? (And yes, it sounds a little presumptuous to think that someone has time to google me and each applicant to see what they write online, but, well, who knows...)

I hope it is OK that I am opening a new thread, because my question is a little different: the other thread was about whether expats should feel free to openly criticize the politics of their new country, while my question is the following: Do you feel comfortable expressing opinions under your full name on public social media?

Twitter is my preferred social media platform, and I tweet using my full name and real photo. I follow Norwegian politics closely and tweet about that, and participate in discussions with other Norwegians. I also tweet about Argentina in Norwegian. In addition, I tweet in Spanish about Argentina, lately a lot about politics, most (all, really) of it very critical of the current government and the way the whole Nisman situation has been handled. But it just struck me: is that bad? Not from the ethical perspective (which the previous thread discussed) but from a selfish perspective: could this possibly hurt my residency process, for instance? I got my precaria in December through work and am waiting for DNI. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I really don't want any trouble, or have my residency not approved... Any thoughts? (And yes, it sounds a little presumptuous to think that someone has time to google me and each applicant to see what they write online, but, well, who knows...)
Indeed,its not a bad question at all.
For example,I have stopped at all,in my facebook (i dont use twitter) to make any political comments at all,specially againts this government),sadly,they are putting a lot of money into army inteligence,that money,is not to buy confortable chairs,but to buy and use spiying equipment (breaking the law as well)
Right now,you have to be very careful in this country
If I was you,at least,regarding argentina,and until december,I would be very careful in what I whrite or even read here
My 2 cents,you can take it or leave it.

You must be to young or never heard of how the ''task force'' used to pick up ''terrorists'' in the 70s...... now day it's much much easier if they want to find you and having your real photo and name was and still is a bad idea.....i don't even want my dni number in purchases i make in cash eventhou they are very pushy about getting it.... so in short don't get paranoid just fly bellow radar

You must be to young or never heard of how the ''task force'' used to pick up ''terrorists'' in the 70s...... now day it's much much easier if they want to find you and having your real photo and name was and still is a bad idea.....i don't even want my dni number in purchases i make in cash eventhou they are very pushy about getting it.... so in short don't get paranoid just fly bellow radar
The guerrilla was doing the same
if I would you,i wouldnt comment about local politics in an open forum with your identity,I stopped putting political commentaries or jokes againts the government in my facebook (i dont have twitter),why do you think the government s putting so much money into army inteligence and putting and supporting a general coming from inteligence like Milani?
It could hurt your chances,at leats,until december,dont do it

Honestly why post an opinion about politics, it doesn't matter where you are.

I don't know if they go that far in argentina but I do have a friend from Venezuela who would sign all the petitions against Chavez etc and they delayed sending any paperwork she requested to deliver for her US citizenship and her family members' process completed years before hers

Expats are trying to reinvent themselves by moving to another country and obviously being experts on every subject. NAHT! Maybe they should fix the country they come from before they take on the world.

Indeed,its not a bad question at all.
For example,I have stopped at all,in my facebook (i dont use twitter) to make any political comments at all,specially againts this government),sadly,they are putting a lot of money into army inteligence,that money,is not to buy confortable chairs,but to buy and use spiying equipment (breaking the law as well)
Right now,you have to be very careful in this country
If I was you,at least,regarding argentina,and until december,I would be very careful in what I whrite or even read here
My 2 cents,you can take it or leave it.

Wise you for not publishing on fb with your real name you racist ideas becouse to promote hate regarding the country were you were born or the colour of your skin is a crime.

As far as i know is Mauricio Macri who spent a fortune on spy equipment and hirig former CIA for illegal spying. He is PROcesado in that criminal case:
http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/elpais/1-145731-2010-05-15.html

No consequenses Noruega. Freedom of speach is clearly respected in this country.
julio-lopez.jpg

Back