Re: Gifts Or Souvenirs For Upcoming Chile~Argentina Trip

Hybrid Ambassador

Registered
Hi folks,I need some suggestions and inputs from you allchile~BAexpat members and lurkers as well.

I will be finally be able to visit the long sought after country, the Chile maravilloso and the gran Argentina, hoping.
( It does not matter what my Surgeon saz,about my feet/ankle Iam coming,enuff waiting ! )

I intend to go many places there and get personal acquainted with people that met on this forum
therefore, need to present them with a token of introduction item such as souvenirs when I go to meet them in person and as customary in Japan every time you make a trip abroad or meet people and hence the "souvenirs" bringing as an amicable sign of introduction. Iam mentally counting the persons that I want to go and meet there to be about less than 10 persons. Some of them comes back to their home country often, I believe. So very difficult for me to pinpoint and figure out what items are as souvenirs would be appreciated there in Chilito~landia and the pampas boasting Argentina.?

Also questions on my lodging wilst there, some has offered hospitality on spending a night or two at their places but would like to be to not to cause a nuisance and burden for them in mean time. I would be flying from January 2014 from the beginning week into February 2014. High season there in January~February? I have to start from north, circa Arica city then to, Iquique,Santiasco, valparaiso, San Antonio area down to valdivia~Puerto varas but not as far south as Patagonia hoping, also after seeing Chile then onto BS As and elsewhere in Argentina..?

"Omiyage" - The gift you keep on giving when you go places and return as well.

Like anywhere else, there are a number of social obligations in Japanese society, and one of the most common ones you'll run into is" omiyage". Most easily translated as "souvenir," omiyage is somehow both more and less than that.Any time you go on a trip or go to visit a person or an unusual event, it is expected that you will bring bearing gifts.

So I want to know what items or gifts are mostly appreciated by the reciving end persons living currently in Chile? Toasted cofee beans/powdered ones? Whiskies, Honey or maple syrups ? I need your suggestions and what can be brought in lugguages with me without being confiscated by the chilean customs? So please offer me your opinions and any such, would be greatly appreciated..

Bringing: Coffee roasted but not in grounded form. ( Beans due to keep freshness ) Hoping every one has a coffee bean grinder at their respective homes.! See's candy, assorted kind, many,many boxes.!
Santoku knifes ( made in japan ) not in freaking PRC and the 7 plus inches kind..
..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santoku
Trying to find out Chile custom if allowed to bringing in checked luggage but not sure. Any opinions everyone?
A few Suntory whisky bottles "the yamazakis" http://theyamazaki.jp/en/index.html
Anything else to bring with me...Please cooperate in giving me more suggestions. Greatly appreciate.

Also: This trip is an exploratory trip to savour the summer muggy and or dry weather to see if I can take on living there forever to bury my one day "Anciano body", have places already in mind to visit due to having a few acquaintances there who lives in:

Arica, Iquique, Santiasco, Vinya~Valpo area, San Antonio area, Valdivia~Puerto Varas area, and additionally must to see places there from your perspectives? Any reference to the places that I should not miss whailst there. Plus Argentina side, Yes I do have to go see a few in Bs As and elsewhere so needing your advises please.

Domo_Arigato gozaimasu!

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santoku, somehow won't let me link no more than one in the previous page?

Disclaimer: I did not ask the Argentinean forum as to what souvenirs to bring to the chile living expats but meant to ask Argie gifts only. Just had it written that way, so if confused post content pardon me. Had a friendly warning from a member stating that my question is out of place. So I'm posting an explanation post so to not confuse anyone here..

Back