Real mobile phone geek needed :)

Johnno

Registered
Hey all - I'm coming back down to BA permanently next year - and one of the things I want to do is get myself the best android phone there is - but to know that when I get there I can stick a local sim in it and it will work for everything...

I'm thinking the HTC Desire is the way to go (way better than my Nokia N97 I am going to give the flick to) and I am wondering if any of you guys are using one down there and if everything works okay (with Movistar or whoever)...

Thanks in advance :)

John.

PS One of many things I'm still trying to get sorted out - I still don't have the apartment organised even yet - but step by step :) lol

You will need an unlocked GSM model and it would have to work on 850/1900 3G bands in order for you to use it with Movistar or Claro. As long as your phone meets this criteria, you should be fine.

Motorola Droid 2 and Droid X, HTC EVO 4G, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Incredible and the Nexus One are the best phones out right now.

Johnno said:
Hey all - I'm coming back down to BA permanently next year - and one of the things I want to do is get myself the best android phone there is - but to know that when I get there I can stick a local sim in it and it will work for everything...
I'm thinking the HTC Desire is the way to go (way better than my Nokia N97 I am going to give the flick to) and I am wondering if any of you guys are using one down there and if everything works okay (with Movistar or whoever)...
Thanks in advance :)
John.
PS One of many things I'm still trying to get sorted out - I still don't have the apartment organised even yet - but step by step :) lol

Hey! what's wrong with Perth its to boring or what? :D

I agree with AlexfromMX, Samsung i9000 Galaxy S is a hell of the phone right now put it down in your short list.

I've just ordered the HTC Desire guys - but it sounds like (from what you've said) its going to work just fine :) Yes - I've checked the specs on all the phones you've mentioned and they all sound good to me - and they are all probably going to work out way better than my Nokia N97... It was fun for a while but just way tooooooo buggy and every 'fix' has basically introduced more problems and issues - as for your question about Perth Lucas - lets put it this way: Perth is where you go to either die or retire - and I am still too young to do either :)

I only spent 2.5 weeks in BA on my last visit - but next year I'm making the move permanently - and compared to Perth, BA is so much more alive - its a place where you can actually have a social life...

Yes - I will not be too unhappy about getting out of Perth again - I spent 5 years living overseas and teaching last time round - I have a feeling I'm going to be in BA for quite a while :)

John.

PS Now I have to wait for my shiny new HTC Desire to turn up - can't wait :) lol

just make sure you don't play with it out in public too much or someone might punch you in the face and take it.

Actually that's a good advice from arty, no long ago someone posted that when making a phone call by the footpath a Motochorro snatched the mobile from his/hers hands, so be careful were you flash your new shiny HTC Desire it may become the desire of somebody else. :D

Yeah, I wouldn't walk around town talking on the phone. Not only is it annoying to others but it's also not a very safe thing to do with all the thief's running around.

Don't forget to buy a silicone case for it.

Thanks for the advice guys - my lady down there basically said to watch everything like that - not wear any gold or any fancy watches or anything like that - this is what I did on my visit and will be doing when I get back down there. Apparently when I was down in Recoleta in June/July one American guy was running around the barrio wearing a 2000 dollar Rolex - that lasted for a day :) lol

Being Aussie I tend to get around looking like a slob when I'm not working anyway - and I'd figure that most of the ladros would take one look at me and figure I had less than them :) lol

I had a Nexus One which worked great down here until it got pickpocketed from my bag on the subway.. very clever thief, I think he must have been a magician - the phone magically disappeared from the bottom of a zipped pocket. And I consider myself a savvy traveler! Ah well, live and learn.

One small hiccup with using the Nexus One on Movistar here, though, was that it wouldn't get data from the cellular network. Which didn't really bother me, I was fine with using WiFi hotspots. I'm now using an iPhone 3GS, and it gets data from the cell network fine.
Android 2.2 (Froyo) might have fixed this - my Nexus One still didn't have the update by the time it got stolen.
Whatever phone you bring, make sure you monitor this sort of thing, or keep your 3G data connection off unless you explicitly need it - cellular data eats up minutes pretty darn quick.

Also, be aware that at least as of a few months ago, the Android marketplace had a paltry collection of apps (nil) specific to Buenos Aires / Argentina, whereas Apple's iTunes Store has a number of them - offline maps of B.A., great subway apps and route planners, etc.

It's like Mac vs. Linux - philosophically, I really want to support the open-source platform - but alas, the tools, interface, and apps just aren't there yet for prime-time use. But that's another discussion.

Cheers

Most phones (including the Desire I think) don´t fully support the 3G bands here. Just the 2G. So you might not always get the optimal speed (but on the other side, 3G here is not what I am used to from my home country either).

If you don´t get any data connection at all, you have to add the APN settings for your provider. Also make sure you actually have a data plan or it will cost you a lot or your prepaid credit will be used up within minutes. Personal telecom offers an internet package for prepaid for 19 pesos per week (activate it sending "act im7" to the number 152, don´t forget to deactivate data or renew before the week (168hs to be exact) runs out).
If you are using an Android phone like the HTC Desire, use APNdroid for deactivating data.

Also there is a bunch of programs to track the phone after it is stolen. Don´t expect to recover it using them, nevertheless it might be interesting to see where it ends up. Since there are not many Android smartphones in the Argentine market right now, chorros probably won´t know how to remove the programs. And yes, take care. I put my phone in the breast-pocket of my coat because it seems the safest place for me. Even saved somebody´s life once, when a phone placed in a shirt´s breast pocket slowed down a bullet that would have otherwise entered his heart. Not in BsAs though, but in almost-heavenly-secure Austria o_O

Apart from that, I have to say that I am taking all precautions I can. I mostly use the phone at home and in closed places, preferingly sitting with a wall behind my back. Nevertheless, a phone is not worth anything if you don´t use it, so you can´t always be in perfectly safe conditions. From my discussions with Argentines, I think somebody steals or robs your phone every 12-24 months in average. For me that means:
1.) I use no phone that is like "really expensive" for me. I use a 18-month old T-Mobile G1 which I want to replace when coming back from Argentina anyway.
2.) I have a second phone (which is small and cheap) which I take with me when going out, or in other situations where it seems appropriate to me.

PS: Forgot to add: The bands of phones like the HTC Desire generally differ depending on where you buy it. I had the EU-version in mind when saying that it might not support all bands here. Don´t know what they sell in Australia or what bands are common there.

Other PS: Apps I can recommend on Android:
-Waze (navigation app)
-Transito Buenos Aires (state of subways and streets)
-Truco (a typical argentine card game)

And my last PS:
You can´t buy Android apps in Argentina (only access those that are free). You can put an Australian chip in your phone though (make sure that data-roaming is deactivated or you will be a poor man), and access the market via WiFi. This way you get access to the Australian version of the market.

Back