Real Whole Wheat Flour

nyer4ever

Registered
I've been looking for over a year and can't seem to find real whole wheat flour. Countless dieticas and no one seems to have anything besides "integral" which is not it. In the US I use King Arthur.

I know it's here somewhere because Hausebrot has whole "wheatish" looking bread.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone ever spotted dill or lemongrass here? Love cooking with both.

I've been looking for over a year and can't seem to find real whole wheat flour. Countless dieticas and no one seems to have anything besides "integral" which is not it. In the US I use King Arthur.

I know it's here somewhere because Hausebrot has whole "wheatish" looking bread.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone ever spotted dill or lemongrass here? Love cooking with both.

Lemon Grass in Chinatown Belgrano

As far as lemongrass goes, Asia Oriental has it about 90% of the time (fresh), but they're owned by Casa China so I usually assume most of the merchandise is the same. Check out Ichiban too, opposite the fish.

For the wheat flour, I didn't know the generic stuff we buy here is that much different from Rey Arturo. Maybe you could enlighten me?

even I am looking for whole wheat flour and black rice. anybody seen black rice (Arroz negro)?

For the wheat flour, I didn't know the generic stuff we buy here is that much different from Rey Arturo. Maybe you could enlighten me?

I would second that opinion - integral seems pretty close to the same thing, or no? I was pretty disappointed with cocoa here, but eventually I just got used to it. Seems the processing is not the same as what we're used to, but I'm not entirely convinced that's always a bad thing. It seems like the milling is not as fine, and maybe the separation of materials not as pure, but is a little extra fiber really going to kill us?

I would second that opinion - integral seems pretty close to the same thing, or no? I was pretty disappointed with cocoa here, but eventually I just got used to it. Seems the processing is not the same as what we're used to, but I'm not entirely convinced that's always a bad thing. It seems like the milling is not as fine, and maybe the separation of materials not as pure, but is a little extra fiber really going to kill us?

New Garden and La Esquina sell 2 grinds of whole-wheat flour: gruesa and fina (or superfina.) Maybe the superfina is closer to the texture you're used to? Either way, I've never had problems with either whole-wheat or whole-grain rye flours from NG... they both yielded results similar to the breads I used to make with Bob's Red Mill flours back in the US.

Yeah, black rice, definitely had it in one of the supermarkets in barrio chino last time I went.

Ceviche, can you invite us all over for dinner sometime? Sounds like you are cooking up a storm! I have had luck with getting black rice at one of the places on Arribenos... So sorry I have no idea what it's called... It's one of the smaller ones between Juramento and Mendoza that has all of the canned goods and teas in one side and then on the other side is bulk goods and frozen foods. But they don't have it all the time. it is usually in bulk goods and sometimes prebagged. Otherwise there are two supermarkets in the following block, btwn Mendoza and Olazabal that are on the same side of the street (the side closer to Libertador) that have relatively large bulk sections of nuts flours rice, and they may have it as well.

The whole wheat flour here is kind of different, it seems more raw than back in USA. It almost seems as if they throw the whole germ in there and don't break it down even a bit (kind of like with the rolled oats, the gruesa variety is less processed and your apt to find the casings of the oats in them, I always pick them out) You may have luck with finding a different variety of whole wheat either in Chintown, at the Casa de Polti on Juramento and about Ciudad de la Paz, in Natural Deli, at Hausbrot itself (the do sell oats etc) or a casa de reposteria if you are lucky. there is a baked goods supplier on Corrientes I believe it is, have a look on the forum, I cannot for the life of me remember what it is called, sorry!

Back