realistic earnings for a TEFL qualified teacher - private tuition/translation work/bilingual PA etc

diosaarenosa

Registered
hi there
i am anglo-argentine and have travelled to argentina every year throughout my life, and lived there for 6 months post the 2002 crash. i've been reading some of the post and it sems there has been an inevitable rise in the cost of living.
i am signed up to do a TEFL course in november. I am totally blilingual in both english and spanish to mother tongue standard, and did 2 years of a 4 year degree in hispanic studies. i want to emigrate to BA with a view to settling, as quality of life in london is so poor now, i need a change of pace and scenery. i feel that BA would offer me more opportunities to earn decent money, whilst potentially more time and energy to pursue my other loves, and ultimately the field of work i want to get into - journalism/fashion.
i wonder if anyone could give me an up to date picture of the job market, how much i might expect to command for one to one english lessons, if i might be able to get translating work, or work as an interpretor or bilingual PA (i have 5 years medical sec and PA experience), and generally what kind of a monthly salary i could expect to receive, in pesos, for part or full time work? i am getting my citizenship/passport sorted out before i travel so will be able to work as an argentine national so no problems in terms of working visas, CUIT etc.
all pointers/suggestions gratefully received!
vanessa

Probally 1500 to 2000 peso for 30 hours a week. If you work another 20 hours a week more, you can get a decent salary (3500-4000 peso)

"CABJ" said:
Probally 1500 to 2000 peso for 30 hours a week. If you work another 20 hours a week more, you can get a decent salary (3500-4000 peso)

The hours referred to are weekly, but the salary estimate is monthly, isn't it ?

Yes.
If you work 60 hours a week you can make a decent living and you have no time to spend your money so you can probally save a bit

Hey Vanessa, I'm just starting off as a teacher and have interviewed
with probably 10 institutes. They're all offering pay in the $22-$27
peso/hour range.Demand for teachers is high so you can afford to be picky. I'm not accepting anything less than $25. That's $2500/month if
you work 25 hours/week or $3000 for 30 hours/week. Of course you can earn more if you tutor privately but it helps to have some institute
experience first.

The tricky part is piecing together a good work schedule. Most
students want a teacher early morning, lunch hour, or after work. So
it's not unheard of to start working at 8am and finish your last class
at 9pm (with gaps in between). The idea is to get blocks of 3-4 hours
within walking distance of each other. Easier said than done.Further questions, feel free to drop me a note.
-Andy

"andyg" said:
Demand for teachers is high so you can afford to be picky. I'm not accepting anything less than $25. That's $2500/month if

you work 25 hours/week or $3000 for 30 hours/week.
-Andy
Wow, that's good. Other people told me that you'd earn approximately 1,400/month for teaching English for 30 hours/week. So it's good to hear some more positive reports re salaries for English teachers!

"MrBart" said:
Demand for teachers is high so you can afford to be picky. I'm not accepting anything less than $25. That's $2500/month if
you work 25 hours/week or $3000 for 30 hours/week.
-Andy

Wow, that's good. Other people told me that you'd earn approximately 1,400/month for teaching English for 30 hours/week.
So it's good to hear some more positive reports re salaries for English teachers!
I've been here less than 2 weeks and have a job that pays $25-$30 an hour (different pay for different locations). At this point it's only 9 hours a week but I have more interviews next week and have been told that my current job will most likely increase in hours within a month. I have a TESOL certificate and a little previous experience.

teaching English for 30 hours a week, is about 50 to 60 hours a week of work, so that would make it around 10 to 15 peso an hour, not 25-30

Back