Reason To Register Or Convalidate Foreign Marriage In Ar?

Frinkiac7

Registered
Hello all! Una consulta...my wife and I married in the U.S., she has U.S. citizenship, and we live there. She travels on a U.S. passport but also has a DNI and ARG passport that lists her estado civil as soltera. She visits home once a year for about 30-90 days. She's currently there.

Is there any good reason to go through the trouble of trying to register, convalidate, or do whatever to change the estado civil on her documents? Is this as simple as getting all docs and apostille etc. and going to the registro civil, or does it require a formal case? Or is it something you can do in the U.S. through the Argentine consulate?

I can see how in a medical emergency scenario or something it might be useful...other than that we don't live in Argentina, don't own any property there, and don't have any kids. When we do I don't think we will get them nacionalidad Argentina por opción.

I can't particularly see the need for it now, but maybe someone here has experience and can enlighten me or convince me otherwise. Thank you in advance.

My view might sound cynical. Don't bother!

If I get it right, you're US citizen, she is US citizen, has 2 passports. Technically, she can travel without obstacles, the doors are open for you to do whatever you wish and if you insist on updating her passport, you're free to do it. Reasons why I don't recommend it:
  • Passports do expire and she will have to get a new one at some point. Then she will have to update her marital status. Why volunteer to pay and go through a burocratic odyssey before it's required, when you can simply cross that bridge when you come to it?
  • You don't know what her marital status will be at that due time. Sad but true. Been there myself. No words can describe how glad I am I've been too lazy to let my ephemeral recent marriage affect my single's passport B)

My view might sound cynical. Don't bother!

If I get it right, you're US citizen, she is US citizen, has 2 passports. Technically, she can travel without obstacles, the doors are open for you to do whatever you wish and if you insist on updating her passport, you're free to do it. Reasons why I don't recommend it:
  • Passports do expire and she will have to get a new one at some point. Then she will have to update her marital status. Why volunteer to pay and go through a burocratic odyssey before it's required, when you can simply cross that bridge when you come to it?
  • You don't know what her marital status will be at that due time. Sad but true. Been there myself. No words can describe how glad I am I've been too lazy to let my ephemeral recent marriage affect my single's passport B)

I agree with you in that if there's no good reason to, why bother. She has already updated the passport once since it expired post-marriage and they just re-issued it as soltera. They have no way of knowing if she married in a foreign country. I can see few reasons to jump through all of the hoops.

Hello all! Una consulta...my wife and I married in the U.S., she has U.S. citizenship, and we live there. She travels on a U.S. passport but also has a DNI and ARG passport that lists her estado civil as soltera. She visits home once a year for about 30-90 days. She's currently there

Don't bother. I didn't.

Just so the other view is represented...

If they issue her passport as casada, they are recognizing the union officially. Could be convenient in the future.

Back