Rec/pick Up Volleyball

Vermonter

Registered
Hi folks,

I posted sometime last year about potential volleyball groups here in Buenos Aires. Sadly I had little luck in finding fellow volleyball players.

I understand it's not a very popular sport here but I'm hoping to find out if recreational volleyball is offered in any local gyms. I don't have a team or group of people who I can play with and am looking for a place that offers intermediate to advanced level volleyball groups in or near the Recoleta area.

If anyone has seen or knows of any gyms that offer a volleyball program like this please let me know. I'd really like a group to play with perhaps once a week and for a price that won't kill my already limited budget.

All recommendations are welcome.

I think there are some volleyball groups at the YMCA (Reconquista y Corrientes). You can go and ask for the schedule. I think a competitive group plays Friday evenings at 8.00.

The gym membership is reasonable; it's around 280 pesos a month. If you can find a group of people to join, they often give special rates. I got in for 220 a month.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. Reconquista and Corrientes is a little bit of a hike for me but it'll be worth taking a look. The price is okay also.

Hey everyone,

apparently it is possible to play volleyball at the Club de Amigos in Palermo. Is anyone familiar with this place? Do I need to become a socio if all I want to do is play volleyball?

Club de Amigos is great. I used to go as a kid as associate and now go thanks to my College/Universidad de Palermo has many "free" activities there. Free as long you study there of course. I play for the UP Volleyball team (just started 6 months ago to play Volleyball but have Bball past) and we practice there 2 times a week and then play on Friday nights (at other locations).
The ticket to just get into the park as non associate (had to do it when forgot my College credential :p) is about $40/$50 for one day. With this you can use any installation that is not being used by classes or other people of course. For classes and other prices you should call/contact them, it seems they put the prices real high to keep the park crowd free.
Maybe you can check the cheapest price of UP's courses? You get access to many free sport activities. Bball/soccer/volley/golf/tennis/gym/swimming/etc

Volleyball is a big deal here. Check out the Olympic results from the past few years.

Along the lines of Club de Amigos, you may want to check out http://www.clubharrods.com.ar/. I find their rates to be amongst the lowest for clubs and they offer volleyball. After spending the Summer playing beach volley in Valencia, I'm kind of interested in finding something, as well, so please let us know what you find.

Hey I posted about volleyball several months ago and got little response- I am a member of Club de Amigos and when I spoke to them they said there was only a mens team- does any one know if this is still the case? thanks.

Hey I posted about volleyball several months ago and got little response- I am a member of Club de Amigos and when I spoke to them they said there was only a mens team- does any one know if this is still the case? thanks.
Professional team is just mens, yes. But they have recreational volley for all ages/sex.

And Beans, we are going with my college teammates (20/30 somethings) on Saturday at 5pm to Club de Amigos. You have to ask how much is to get in though, as I get in free.
It's outdoors, low net if you're a man, and more of a group thing than competitive. Also, not sure how many in the group talk English.

Back