receiving post send to my name but for other person

jez

Registered
I live in Bariloche so will be picking a package up from the Post Office that is also Aduanas.

A friend send a package from the UK to my address here in Argentina and put my name as the recipient. I am permanent resident with DNI. The package is for my friend who is just visiting on a UK passport. He is now in Argentina and will come to pick the package up with me.

The package contains his used trekking gear: boots/sleeping bag etc.

If the package had been addressed to him it would be easy as he could receive it as a foreigner staying in Argentina short term and not pay any taxes as he will take it out of the country when he leaves. He did that the last time he was in the country.

Is there going to be a problem as it is addressed to me and I am a permanent resident? I know there is a tax on new products, it it the same as used personal items. As a permanent resident is there an allowance of personal items I can have sent over?

When you go to pick up a package at the post no one asks you your resident status. Just use your passport as ID and not your DNI.

mini said:
When you go to pick up a package at the post no one asks you your resident status. Just use your passport as ID and not your DNI.

Thanks, but it will be from the Aduanas office at the post office..

jez said:
Thanks, but it will be from the Aduanas office at the post office..

No one asked me my resident status today when I went to pick up a package nor the times I've had to pay up. But when I had to pay it was on new stuff I had ordered. The only time I was asked for ID was when I gave them the notice slip at the front. At the aduana I've never been asked for my ID nor my residency status. But hey, YMMV, right?

Back