recent customs experiences?

Montrose

Registered
Has anyone gone through customs at Ezeiza recently, within a month or two ago?

I'm coming back from the USA and am wondering what to expect, because I want to bring some electronic items with me.

Thanks!

what electronic things? if you plant to be 10 iphones I would keep them on your person when you get off the plane.

I came through at the end of June with a 46" flat screen TV and a baby stroller system that I declared and paid the duty on.

They asked about the other stuff and I told them the rest were used - laptop, iPhone, baby monitor, digital camera, router, Flip camera, and some more things. No problems, and I have a residency. It's even easier on a tourist visa.

wow..dave is my new hero a 46' TV..I know where I am going to watch NFL football this year..haha... so you paid 50% duty on it??? I need to try that!!!

I just got back 3 weeks ago... there is a new form on declaring goods that I hadnt filled out before... it even asked what cell phone I was bringing and the model....
but after getting though the passport stamp part.. nobody ever asked or took it from me... I had 3 huge suitcases and 2 carry ons.. as usual not even one question.... so it looks like business as usual.....
but as the other poster said... I usualy do put my phone and ipod and other things in my jacket

Just came back through on Sunday night just past with 5 large suitcases full of DVDs, clothes, food items etc and no need to fill out any new customs form re cellphone model etc..maybe the airline is the difference (we travelled with Lufthansa). Had new PSP and Ipod in box but noone raised an eyebrow even after the bag scan..plus ca change I think...it´s simply a matter of luck.

so since I'm planning on bring some things for a few people here on the board, does anyone have experience entering BA from Montevideo into AEP. My past recollections are that they do the Argentine immigration part in MVD, but do you go through customs there, or at AEP?

We went on a week vacation to Montevideo 2 weeks ago. The passport control for Uruguay and Argentina was done in Montevideo airport coming back. And same for going there, both stamps were done in Argentina.

Sleuth said:
I came through at the end of June with a 46" flat screen TV and a baby stroller system that I declared and paid the duty on.

They asked about the other stuff and I told them the rest were used - laptop, iPhone, baby monitor, digital camera, router, Flip camera, and some more things. No problems, and I have a residency. It's even easier on a tourist visa.
OK that is impressive....how did you get the flat screen on the plane? In the original box? I would have liked to have seen their eyes when you rolled through customs with that package.

ghost said:
OK that is impressive....how did you get the flat screen on the plane? In the original box? I would have liked to have seen their eyes when you rolled through customs with that package.

I ordered from Amazon, and repacked the original box with packing peanuts and the air packs that Amazon uses for other packages. Checked it in at JFK and paid extra for oversize and overweight.

In EZE, no problems at all. Ran it through the xray, gave them my paperwork for the duty, paid the bill at the window, and walked out. It was very simple.

Here is the breakdown:

Samsung 46" TV from Amazon: U$S 950
American overweight and oversize charge: U$S 300
Argentina duty of 50% over allowed U$S 300: U$S 325

Total cost: U$S 1,575

Cost of that TV in Argentina? AR $13,999

Savings? Around U$S 2000

And an added benefit - that TV is dual voltage so I do not need a converter. Also works great with Cablevision's digital box.

Although my experience was somewhat different, the financial result was the same. I ordered a 42" Sony Bravia from an import-export dealer online --mainly because I wanted, as I've written here before, a TV that will play on any signal system in the world -- and they shipped it to me (saving the overweight, oversize airline charge). Total costs to me, app. $1300. Cost of this TV in Jumbo, $2500 USD. Saving more than $1000 USD, and getting a TV that will work anywhere in the world.

Back