Recieving mail/packages from U.S.

mark1732

Registered
Hey everyone,

I got a question concerning shipping from The U.S to Buenos Aires. I have been living in BA over a year now and when I first arrived my parents sent me a box full of mostly edible goods from the states and I ended up having to go to customs to pick it up. Yesterday I ordered a cell phone cover from amazon.com to be delivered to my parent’s home back in the U.S. I am thinking that I will either wait till next year to pick it up when I go to visit or have my parents ship it to me here in BA. What I want to know is given its small size (should fit in an average stuffed envelope maybe 9x12) and not an expensive item, will it be delivered to my doorstep or will I have to go to customs? At the bottom is a link to the item. I appreciate any input you guys/girls can give me on this subject.

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XBLAZU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

What I've read at another board is that the stuff that is sent in enveloppes has much less probabilities of getting stopped at Customs.

What I've read at another board is that the stuff that is sent in enveloppes has much less probabilities of getting stopped at Customs.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think that might be the case but since it's more of a package and not something like a letter in an envelope i'm trying to find out from someone who has been living here and received stuff like this without going to customs.

By enveloppe I mean large ones as well, as in a T-shirt or parts, as long as it is not boxed.

Have no clue if these go through a differenct channel to get x-rayed or what but the folks from where I get the info hav parts and accessories shipped to them.

Not talking about correspondance.

By enveloppe I mean large ones as well, as in a T-shirt or parts, as long as it is not boxed.

Have no clue if these go through a differenct channel to get x-rayed or what but the folks from where I get the info hav parts and accessories shipped to them.

Not talking about correspondance.

In that case I think i'm gonna just tell them to send it then. Hopefully it will just arrive to my doorstep and i won't have to spend a whole morning in customs.

Thanks for the info.

I think a lot of it just depends on your luck - and maybe where you live. My mom sent me a small clothing item in the mail in a padded envelope (letter size) and it arrived at our doorstep. :) I was actually surprised. I wouldn't send something I'd be afraid to lose, but if it's something not too expensive, you could give it a try.

I think a lot of it just depends on your luck - and maybe where you live. My mom sent me a small clothing item in the mail in a padded envelope (letter size) and it arrived at our doorstep. :) I was actually surprised. I wouldn't send something I'd be afraid to lose, but if it's something not too expensive, you could give it a try.

It's really not something expensive. Just a cell phone case that cost like $16. I live in GBA Sur so I don't know if that will be an issue. It's worth a try and that way I'll know that I can keep doing it in the future, cause items like these are sometime not available in BA and if they are they cost 3 times as much.

Padded envelopes or small boxes(eg. for books) comes to your door. I think ~1 kilo is max weight if you don´t want to spend some hours in Correo Argentino at Retiro.
Avoid handwritten address labels. Do a nice one yourself in the computer, mail it your parents so they just need to print and glue it.
Tell you parents to add a few stripes of see through packaging tape to padded envelopes. Before I started with this, most of my envelopes were ripped/opened, dont have that problem anymore(knock on wood). If it happens, your package is going to take at least twice the time to get delivered. It then comes in a plastic bag with a note from Correo Argentino saying that it is not their fault. Hopefully there is nothing missing.
Expect delivery from the US to your door to take 4-5 weeks. 3 if you are lucky.

Padded envelopes or small boxes(eg. for books) comes to your door. I think ~1 kilo is max weight if you don´t want to spend some hours in Correo Argentino at Retiro.
Avoid handwritten address labels. Do a nice one yourself in the computer, mail it your parents so they just need to print and glue it.
Tell you parents to add a few stripes of see through packaging tape to padded envelopes. Before I started with this, most of my envelopes were ripped/opened, dont have that problem anymore(knock on wood). If it happens, your package is going to take at least twice the time to get delivered. It then comes in a plastic bag with a note from Correo Argentino saying that it is not their fault. Hopefully there is nothing missing.
Expect delivery from the US to your door to take 4-5 weeks. 3 if you are lucky.

Thanks for the tips.

I can bring anything in ,for anyone, air freight , no customs delay or duties. Commission involved. Cash only.

Back