Region Free DVD Players

Johnny

Registered
Before I dig deeper I thought I would run a question by the electronics whizzes here. I'll be in the states for Christmas and I want to bring back a number of DVDs. I'm aware that the US is a different region than Argentina which poses a problem. I've been told that I should purchase a region free DVD player (are they available in Argentina?). I admit that I am pretty clueless about all this. Any advise is welcome!

In all seriousness, whats your use case? DVD's are pretty much obsolete. You may be far better advised to update your tech somewhat. Good Luck!

I mean, do you plan on watching on a home theatre setup for example, or a laptop. Have you thought about just getting non physical digital versions of whatever you are looking for...

I mean, do you plan on watching on a home theatre setup for example, or a laptop. Have you thought about just getting non physical digital versions of whatever you are looking for...
I plan to watch on a big honking television. Why would anyone want to watch a movie on a laptop? Not having the option to see in a theater is bad enough. But hey, thanks L2B. Most of what I want to watch are films from Europe/Japan produced 50-70 years ago. I'm not sure about "non physical" options for such films. Likely any streaming options would be in the states, but not so here. But I am guessing at that. And, I have absolutely no interest in watching on my laptop.

Before I dig deeper I thought I would run a question by the electronics whizzes here. I'll be in the states for Christmas and I want to bring back a number of DVDs. I'm aware that the US is a different region than Argentina which poses a problem. I've been told that I should purchase a region free DVD player (are they available in Argentina?). I admit that I am pretty clueless about all this. Any advise is welcome!

I brought a lot of DVD's with me from the states and they all play on all of the DVD players I have bought in Argentina as (at least in my experience) most players here will play discs from regions I and IV. In the past year I bought several lotes (30 to 50 pelis per lote) of original DVDs on Mercado Libre at a cost of less than $.50 USD per disc and they all play as well. Just wanted to have some movies to watch when the wifi is down.

I also bought a couple used DVD players on Mercado Libre about two years ago when they were priced as low as $250 pesos.

PS: I love the "extra features" on many of the DVDs, especially the directors' comments (voice over) and the look "behind the scenes" of the films while they were in production.

I brought a lot of DVD's with me from the states and they all play on all of the DVD players I have bought in Argentina as (at least in my experience) most players here will play discs from regions I and IV. In the past year I bought several lotes (30 to 50 pelis per lote) of original DVDs on Mercado Libre at a cost of less than $.50 USD per disc and they all play as well. Just wanted to have some movies to watch when the wifi is down.

I also bought a couple used DVD players on Mercado Libre about two years ago when they were priced as low as $250 pesos.

PS: I love the "extra features" on many of the DVDs, especially the directors' comments (voice over) and the look "behind the scenes" of the films while they were in production.
Many thanks Steve!

I plan to watch on a big honking television. Why would anyone want to watch a movie on a laptop? Not having the option to see in a theater is bad enough. But hey, thanks L2B. Most of what I want to watch are films from Europe/Japan produced 50-70 years ago. I'm not sure about "non physical" options for such films. Likely any streaming options would be in the states, but not so here. But I am guessing at that. And, I have absolutely no interest in watching on my laptop.

Ok, got it. In that case I'd suggest you check if your tv has a USB port. It almost certainly does. In which case you should be able to get a ton of old, or any, movies put on a USB stick. There are many sources to download digital versions legitimately or otherwise. With a little research and time you could get everything you wanted in a fraction of the space/weight.

Also, as you suggested, streaming is a great option, I suspect you'd be surprised , there are probably several sources for niche sites where you could find the movies you reference. (Assuming you have a 'smart tv')

I know you were asking about DVDs and this is all unsolicited advice, but hey, why not, maybe it helps!

In any case, good luck.

Cheers!

Back