Register marriage @US Embassy?

Edmund Pickett

Registered
Does anyone know what hoops you have to jump to register an Argentine spouse with the US Embassy? I looked on the Embassy website and didn't find what I expected. My new wife doesn't need a green card as we are mainly going to live here and she has British as well as Argentine citizenship, so visas are not a problem. I'm thinking of social security and things like that. If anyone has gone through this, I'd appreciate the info.

I haven't called the embassy yet. I thought I would see if anyone else has done the same thing lately. Do you know what office to call at the embassy?

(I know you said you didn't need a green card, but that's the process anyway if you want her to have benefits as your wife)

I am pretty sure that the K3 visa is only applicable if they are planning on living in the US, which seems is not the case. I still have not found a way to register my marriage with the US, and I feel like it could be a point of conflict when my wife goes to renew her US Tourist Visa, so let me know what you find out!

I'm interested in hearing from someone who has done this recently as well. From the embassy website:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced that effective August 15, 2011, all overseas petitioners residing in countries without a USCIS office will be required to file I-130 Petitions for Alien Relatives by mail with USCIS in the United States. Our Consulate is no longer permitted to accept any petitions except in rare, emergency cases, with USCIS approval. Petitioners in Argentina are now required to file their Forms I-130 by mail with the USCIS Chicago lockbox at one of the addresses below.
http://argentina.usembassy.gov/immi...garding-immigrant-petition-filings-i-131.html

That certainly seems to make things more difficult, considering that to get a K3 I believe you have to file the I-130 alongside it.

Eclair said:
I'm interested in hearing from someone who has done this recently as well. From the embassy website:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced that effective August 15, 2011, all overseas petitioners residing in countries without a USCIS office will be required to file I-130 Petitions for Alien Relatives by mail with USCIS in the United States. Our Consulate is no longer permitted to accept any petitions except in rare, emergency cases, with USCIS approval. Petitioners in Argentina are now required to file their Forms I-130 by mail with the USCIS Chicago lockbox at one of the addresses below.
http://argentina.usembassy.gov/immi...garding-immigrant-petition-filings-i-131.html

That certainly seems to make things more difficult, considering that to get a K3 I believe you have to file the I-130 alongside it.

you just have to fedex it, it's not hard.

Back