Relative security / insecurity of different barrios?

Mano Negra

Registered
Can anyone help me find out if there are any figures published on crime rates on a barrio by barrio basis. Security seems to be a constant theme here and I am interested in finding out what the variance is. I am particularly interested in how Puerto Madero compares, given it is highly policed by the prefectura naval and I have never witnessed any evidence of crime there. Is it, as I suspect, the safest place in Argentina?

Any statistical input will be highly rewarded with cocktails at the Faena!!!

LandingPadBA.com ranks Puerto Madero 9.5 in safety on scale of 1 to 10. Meanwhile, San Telmo gets an 8 during the day and a 6 ay night. Have no idea what real crime stats might be behind their rating system, if any. Maybe shoot them an e-mail and see where they get their info.

http://LandingPadBA.com/puerto-madero/

PM is the safest barrio in Capital. Mainly thanks to the Prefecture who has strong presence, do a good job at policing, and are regarded much less corrupt than the police. They also have tons of security video cameras around the neighborhood that are monitored 24/7 real-time by the Prefecture.

Mapa de la inseguridad is another reference source. Check the map for Capital and zoom in the neighborhoods to compare. The pins indicate crime reports by citizens. The map can be very slow to render because of the many pins, but switching it from "Satelite" to "Mapa" view helps a bit.

http://www.mapadelainseguridad.com/

It might be the safest but its also the most boring. Kinda looks like miami and i dont think the are convenience stores at walking distance.

Found this from 2003...
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=555365

A study was commissioned analysing the reported crime from each barrio in buenos aires. Here's a link to the full study:
http://www.cexeci.org/IX CONFIBSIG/...les y geomarketing/Igarzabal de Nistal, A.pdf

Important to note that this only measures reported crime - as in crimes recorded by the comisarías of each barrio. Generally, recorded crime is just the tip of the iceberg, and "real" crime levels can be ten times as high. How much crime gets reported depends on how much confidence people have in the police, and whether there's any perceived benefit to reporting crime. This fluctuates by demographics, and therefore by barrio. There are crime surveys which capture stronger data "real" crime, but I don't think they're broken out by barrio.

More confusing still, neither of these measures show the "perception of crime" which is another variable altogether. How scared people feel is often out of step with how much danger they are in. So some of the most "crime ridden barrios" according to residents might be statistically safer than others, but thats of little comfort to residents.

I'd agree that Puerto Madero is pretty safe - very few roads in and out, different police jurisdiction, and physically seperated from some of the trouble spots (and relatively inaccessible). Plus most people live in high security tower blocks, as opposed to unsecured, low rise PHs.

Puerto Madero is the safest barrio because
a) It's policed by the Prefectura Naval, supposed to be the least corrupt local police force, and
b) It's accessed by bridges, easily policed. Criminals prefer places with easier ways out.

Personally, I find it sort of sterile and totally lacking in character, but it is very convenient for those who work downtown.

i agree it's totally lacking in character and totally sterile. a vertical upscale gated community in affluent suburbia. yikes!

I've been staying in PM since I moved to BA about six weeks ago. Yes, agree with everyone and can report first hand, that it is safe. It's hard to walk a block without seeing a prefecutra monitoring the area (I know there job is to secure the ports not the city, but would seem like PM is over-resourced compared to other parts of city). I'm not planning to stay here but there are many upsides. For me the running trails in the reserve are a huge plus. There are many restaurants and shops nearby, even conveniences stores. Some fantastic views and scenery as well. It's not a gated community. Lots of people come here from all over the city to enjoy the parks and walks along the river. In my opinion, it's a pretty nice place and might be worth a look.

Hmm... every time a barrio thread pops up, so do the barrio-fights. "It's <whatever> but, blah blah"... "I would never live there blah blah"... "the tourists blah bah"...etc, etc. :D It's silly, especially when the negatives often come from experts who never lived in the very place they criticize. IMHO, one of the things I like the most about BA is its diverse neighborhoods... there's something for everyone.

Anyways, how about the original topic? anyone got published crime figures by barrio? not from INDEC of course :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your replies, especially JP and 2GuysinPM for as close as we can get to hard data. You are running neck and neck on the cocktail front. You are quite right 2Guys, I have no interest in opinions about the relative merits of the barrios, just the hard crime figures (especially car theft). I am simply trying to develop an idea / theory that I have. On that basis even info from the Indec would be useful!!!

Anyone got any further ideas about where I might dig this stuff out?

Back