Relocating To Ba For 3 Months

ninathewriter

Registered
Hello,

My name is Nina and I am a digital nomad currently living in Chiang Mai, Thailand. However, burning season is coming soon and I am looking to relocate to Buenos Aires for a few months. And I am trying to connect with Digital Nomads in BA to find out about the digital nomad scene as far as local cafes, affordable apartments, and any other information that you may have available that can help me with a smooth transition! Thank you!

Welcome to BA Nina!!
There are several members renting their flats here, check the classifieds.
By the way, be careful here with real estate agents, they are pirates. (what is the burning season?)

Welcome Nina! There are lots of "digital nomads" here because of relatively low cost of living (for Latin America) and because it is a cool city with lots of stuff to do. I am part digital nomad but I also have some local work, so I am sort of in between. I know many people use cafes but personally I don't because I don't like taking my laptop around. Many, many people do, Argentineans and foreigners alike, but I usually do my work at home. (Speaking of cafes, there is a coffee chat every Wednesday where newcomers and longtimers, local and foreign, come together to chat and meet people.)

Think about what area you would like to live in - many people when they first arrive go for Palermo or Recoleta, both are very nice, but you can get cheaper rentals if you go a little further out. I am taking the liberty of linking to a post I wrote about short term, medium term and long term rentals here in BsAs.

Public transportation is very inexpensive here, which is great. Food costs and restaurants are rising quickly because of inflation. One cost to think about is health insurance, but maybe you have world-wide coverage since you move around. You will find lots of info about health coverage on the forum if you need it.

Welcome here!what is the burning season?

I believe the exp<b></b>ression refers to air pollution: http://www.travelfis...-in-chiang-mai/

Where I live (in Argentina) the next few months can literally be the burning season. Last summer was exceptionally dry and there were a number of fires that consumed the uncut brush on at least five individual hectares (2.47 acres) near my house (one was about 300 meters from me). Several of the fires were actually in the "residential zone" in the nearby village but only consumed the brush on land without any houses or structures. The tamarisco trees that bordered the properties were also "burned" but most survived and new growth (small branches that spring from the trunks) has already hidden any fire damage.

After a great deal more rain this year, the brush is higher and denser that ever, especially on land where the brush has never been cut. The possibly of similar fires this year will increase tremendously if we have another dry summer. I mow the open land (about 8,000 m2) on my property on a weekly basis, greatly reducing the possibility of a brush fie.. Fortunately, I am in a municipal zone and the bomberos form a nearby town could get to my house in about ten minutes.

It is literally burning season where the farmers burn off their fields. I think it is even worse in Indonesia.

fire-map.jpg

I prefer Argentina to Thailand:
  • Mild weather
  • Able to make friends with locals
  • You aren't a Farang (you can pass as a local - until you open your mouth that is)
  • Wine
  • Interesting architecture - that you can live in.
  • Taxis with meters (no need to negotiate with every taxi trip)
Negatives: more expensive, really bad Thai food and Asian food in general... Buy all your electronics, clothes you need before you get here.

People will say that the summer weather in BA is impossible, and it is - but it is still milder than 365 days of the year in Thailand.

In Thailand, "burning season" is when it hurts if you pee.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Very funny, you re sooo funny, you made me laugh very loud!!!!

HHAHAHAHA BURNING SEASON like burning sensation, hahaha

Welcome Nina! There are lots of "digital nomads" here because of relatively low cost of living (for Latin America) and because it is a cool city with lots of stuff to do. I am part digital nomad but I also have some local work, so I am sort of in between. I know many people use cafes but personally I don't because I don't like taking my laptop around. Many, many people do, Argentineans and foreigners alike, but I usually do my work at home. (Speaking of cafes, there is a coffee chat every Wednesday where newcomers and longtimers, local and foreign, come together to chat and meet people.)

Think about what area you would like to live in - many people when they first arrive go for Palermo or Recoleta, both are very nice, but you can get cheaper rentals if you go a little further out. I am taking the liberty of linking to a post I wrote about short term, medium term and long term rentals here in BsAs.

Public transportation is very inexpensive here, which is great. Food costs and restaurants are rising quickly because of inflation. One cost to think about is health insurance, but maybe you have world-wide coverage since you move around. You will find lots of info about health coverage on the forum if you need it.

hi noruega, are the coffee chats still going on? i havent seen any posted lately. Are they every wednsday in the same place now? last time i really wanted to go to one of those, something came up and i coulden't make it and then i didn't see any more posts saying chat on wednsday or anything like that. i would really love to be able to go to one!! :)

Agus5, yes, every Wednesday! This week I am stepping in for GMX who is traveling, I will post the info ASAP! In the Expat Events section.

Back