Remates / Banco Ciudad / Tax Issues

sergio

Registered
An Argentine friend wants to make a purchase at the auction house (REMATE) at the Banco Ciudad on Esmeralda but they told him that he has to first leave a deposit for the item he wants, then wait for the tax authorities to approve him. If the tax authorities turn him down he loses the deposit. His main concern, though, is possibly opening a Pandora's Box, i.e. the tax people might do an audit etc. Any thoughts on this?

I've been to the Art auctions of Banco Ciudad many times, but never to the Real Estate ones.
From what I've heard, many of the bidders are mafia-like. Could be interesting to see.

I've heard this, too....and also have been to many art auctions....when they were held four days per week and the prices were so very low.

There are far fewer auctions now and the base prices are many times higher on average.

My husband was just at one of those last week and yes, there's a mafia situation for sure! There is a "mafia" like group that purchases the properties at extremely low cost then sells afterwards to buyers at still below market value prices. He said it was intense, that a girl tried to outbid what they had decided as their ceiling bid so one of the men ran across the room and kicked her, while screaming obscenities and things along the lines of be careful on your way out etc...There was a cop in the room that did nothing and the auctioneer woman just threatened to throw them out but never did take any action or stop them. In the end they won, surprise surprise..then went outside and held their own auction between two interested bidders on the corner.

An Argentine friend wants to make a purchase at the auction house (REMATE) at the Banco Ciudad on Esmeralda but they told him that he has to first leave a deposit for the item he wants, then wait for the tax authorities to approve him. If the tax authorities turn him down he loses the deposit. His main concern, though, is possibly opening a Pandora's Box, i.e. the tax people might do an audit etc. Any thoughts on this?

It would be interesting to know what is meant by the term "item" and it's base price. I've never heard property described as an item.

My husband was just at one of those last week and yes, there's a mafia situation for sure! There is a "mafia" like group that purchases the properties at extremely low cost then sells afterwards to buyers at still below market value prices. He said it was intense, that a girl tried to outbid what they had decided as their ceiling bid so one of the men ran across the room and kicked her, while screaming obscenities and things along the lines of be careful on your way out etc...There was a cop in the room that did nothing and the auctioneer woman just threatened to throw them out but never did take any action or stop them. In the end they won, surprise surprise..then went outside and held their own auction between two interested bidders on the corner.

Argentina Primer Mundo... :rolleyes:

It is a mafia and it is not really open bidding. Everything is rigged beforehand, so don't expect it to be for real.

Could be fun to go there bidding, with two or three BIG (I'm sure we have quite a few big boys quite ripped & pumped around) expats around.

Could be fun to go there bidding, with two or three BIG (I'm sure we have quite a few big boys quite ripped & pumped around) expats around.
Yes they are called the Marine Guard and they work at the US Embassy by day.

Back